May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Philbert, Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 385 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,802
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm curious I am a half full glass guy.I have been shooting Damascus barrels for maybe 5 years but hunting so not too much shooting compared to a target shooter with no problem so far. I'm curious if any of responsible shooters which I assume most on this blog are have had a damascus barrel one blow up... I'm not talking about anyone with a wad stuck in the barrel.... and not your third cousin either...YOU?

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

nope - and i hunt with them as well

i do ( and not just damascus) check the barrels regularly for obstructions when I go through snow covered areas or have debris falling from above

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder how a barrel bows up from using a high pressured shell and blows some fingers off or an eye? If there is no obstruction in the barrel and a high pressure shell were to cause an issue what would really happen? Split the barrel only in the area of failure? Bulge the barrel? I can not understand catastrophic failure where a barrel does much else without a blockage.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If there is no barrel obstruction and the shell is too high pressure, and there is a failure, the chamber will probably blow. This happened to one of my best friends with several friends present. Charles Boswell damascus gun, overload with Unique.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty, I shoot an awful lot through my damascus guns and have never had any problem. One gun, an A. Alan from Scotland is my go to for skeet and it has digested thousands of rounds annually for a dozen years. Nary a problem even though there is some minor pitting in the chambers! Granted, all it has been fed is 6,000 to 7,000 psi hand loads. I did blow up a muzzleloading shotgun in the late 50's when I decided to load jest a teeny bit of Red Dot instead of black. Didn't know you didn't bulk load nitro......that little Belgium 16 let loose at the breech in spectacular fashion! No fingers lost though doc got to pick shot and barrel fragments out of me for awhile. Reckon this might be one of the reasons I shout at you on the phone.....? WHAT?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot between 5,000 and 6,000 smokeless rounds through my 1966 Joseph Lang 16 gauge non-rebounding hammer gun, rebarreled in Damascus about 1872 by James Woodward. About 500 RST and the rest my reload tested at about 7,200 psi by Tom Armbrust. Killed Quail down in Georgia last Friday. Not a single issue in those 5,000 to 6,000 rounds - it's probably the most reliable firearm I own (including modern rifles and handguns).

Last edited by FlyChamps; 11/20/14 11:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fly;
I presume you meant an "1866" Lang. It would have been kinda tough to have a 1966 gun rebarreled in 1872 since it wasn't going to be built for another 94 years.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid, prevailing wisdom is that a blown chamber is high pressure, and a blown barrel further down is an obstruction.

Obstruction is always accompanied by a ring bulge.

This is no matter what the barrel composition.

I've not personally experienced any blown guns, but have seen firsthand the results of both - in fluid steel guns.

Modern fluid steel barrels have a tremendous amount of elasticity. The result of a 20/12 accident in a Beretta 390 was a HUGE ring bulge, a shattered fore end, and very slight hand injury.

A Lanber that blew the chamber as a result of a very careless hand loader behaved as expected, and this would have happened with any barrel made of anything.

Fortunately, such accidents are few and far between but the human element is forever with us whenever we participate in ANY activity.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

It sounds like the proof houses in England are getting pretty good at blowing guns up...

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe pressure takes the path of least resistance. An over pressured shell must reach catastrophic pressures to blow a chamber instead of passing down the barrel. I'm not saying there would not be damage but without a barrel obstruction how much pressure is required to blow a breach otherwise? Without a compromised barrel it must be tremendously over SAAMI pressures? Now I am not an engineer but I am a generalist who works with engineers daily, the logic prevails me. Perhaps those who understand ballistic pressures can explain.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.