April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (LRF, 1 invisible), 1,034 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are falling in love with a broken gun. This is a bussiness transaction not a marriage. Unless this is a one of a kind think about returning it to the seller. Not your fault it got here broken. It was his fault or in this case his shipping dealer. Let them fight it out not you. Get you money back and go on.

Many here would fix the stock. The gun is worth fixing and I would do it if I broke it in normal use. For instance if while hunting I fell and the stock broke then I would have no problem fixing the stock. But if you fix this stock and two years from now it breaks again you will either be out the price of a restock or have to pay twice for the same repair. Then you will worry every time you use the gun that it may break again. Advoid the hassles and worry send it back. Unless the seller is a real jerk he will give you back your money. Most sellers are fair and honest people to deal with. Until proven otherwise I give them the benefit of doubt. You are on firm ground do not muddy it by fixing what is not your problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ky Jon is right ...... if you fix it and want to sell it later for whatever reason ( like you just don't shoot it well) it would be right to tell the prospective buyer that the stock is fixed ..... which will certainly reduce the price.

Unless you MUST have it ...... send it back.

Al

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree KY John, there are more guns out there, do what you have to get your money back.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn

Someone "cleaned up" the checkering very amateurishly. I wonder what else was done to this stock?

BUT, the real problem is that the gun was shipped assembled AND completely unprotected against bending forces.

The seller chose the shipper, not you. The packing was done incompetently. It is NOT your fault, nor do I think should be your responsibility, unless you agreed to terms giving you the risk of shipping.

You may want to ask for a return and refund, particularly if you had no reasonable way to know about the buggered checkering.

Fred
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had several stocks worked on by Mike Jenkins 530-209-6883
Nice work, quick turnaround, and about half the price you have been talking.
Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

RGS: there is some real merit to recent posts about passing on the gun, but I gather from your first post that lust for this gun is high.

Here is another alternative to consider. Go back to seller and tell him you are concerned about re-sale value with a repair. Have him knock $2,500 off the price for a restocking job. There are alot of great stockmakers that will charge you about $2,000 labor for a complete stock job. You should be able to get a really nice piece of wood for $500 to $700. A good stock man can probably just replace the butt and match it to the forend. Labor for just the butt should run about $1,000 to $1,200.

Best of luck on this........ Chicago (Mike)

Let us know what you decided to do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chicago
A good stock man can probably just replace the butt and match it to the forend. Labor for just the butt should run about $1,000 to $1,200.

Best of luck on this........ Chicago (Mike)

Let us know what you decided to do.

I'm curious as to which reputable stocker does a buttstock on a sidelock for $1000-1200? Or a boxlock for that matter.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it the photography or my eyesight? But are there not two more cracks in the stock to the left of the guard screw 1/2" or so left? Maybe we have a bigger issue here?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for saying it RRob. I would really like to know who does this-butt stocks for $1200 and complete jobs for $2000. $2000 will buy you the labor for HALF of a Mauser stock job, much less a side lock.

Also, the idea that the dealer will let some one keep the gun and refund $2500 definitely falls into the catagory of a "stretch goal." Nothing to be lost by asking, but I would think the odds of getting a $2500 discount are approaching zero.

The person you paid is responsible for getting the gun to you in proper order. Who he contracts for packaging, shipping, whatever, does not impact who owes you money right now-the dealer you bought it from. I would either get a steep discount for the break, or ship it back first thing Monday.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

John Raymond, but you caught a good goof, that $1,000 price is for a boxlock. Toby Leeds charges $30, an hour and I believe he estimates about 75 to 80 hours for most stocks.

I have never used John, but I know he does work for Westley Richards so I gather his work is decent. I got that quote this week.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.