April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (earlyriser, Ted Schefelbein, Ian Forrester), 245 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,041
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Who here has used Privi Partisan soft pint ammo, 30-06, 308 Win ??
I have heard that the S&B sheds jackets. Anyone have first hand experience with Privi on white tails?

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not in those calibres but have used the loaded ammunition and 150gr projectiles in my 303's they worked very well on goats I'd say they are a softer bullet accuracy was ok and very good brass

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot good amount of 10x25 out of G20. The HP seems to perform like FMJ but it is good practice ammo and as stated above the brass is of good quality. Unlike some others I'm not going to say it's underpowered because it is pleasant to shoot and equal in knockdown power to 185gr .45ACP. I certainly would not want to get hit with 185gr .45 auto slug.
I don't see why it would not be suitable for medium and small game especially with large slugs like 9.3x62. Being nice carrying fella I would buy better quality .30-06 and .308 for hunting use. Our game deserves that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot 60 + feral hogs of all sizes with the Privi in 9.3 x 62 with the 286 gr conventional round nose soft point. No problems yet, have only recovered @ 5 bullets or pieces to analyse.Typical cup and core bullet performance.

I have shot at least 20 Texas Whitetails (not the little Hill country types, but the somewhat larger deer we have on the Rolling Plains) with the 139 gr 7x57 soft, with typical results.
These deer were mainly does and small bucks taken during culling here on the ranch.

I would not hesitate to shoot the ammo on our deer. I would compare the 7x57 bullet's performance with the 145 gr Win. Power Point in the same caliber.

Only my observations, but then I remain amazed at all the thought that goes into bullet selection for deer.
I fail to understand the need for any type of "Premium" (high weight retention) bullet for deer hunting.

I have good friends (knowledgeable gun guys) who disagree, but they lack the level of experience I have in shooting deer.

I have limited experience with the 180 gr Privi soft point in 30-06, 7 hogs, I think, but performance was similar.

As an aside , I note your comment about S&B softs " failing" but I have extensive (300+ wild hogs) experience with the 173 gr S&B "CE" (cut edge) soft point in 7x57 (my 1932 Mauser Type B Sporter is regulated for the 173 gr ) Very satisfactory performance.

While the isolated instance I'll report next is certainly not conclusive, it is my observation.
One of my best local Mule deer Bucks taken on this ranch was taken with a S&B 286 gr soft from a 9.3x62.

I shot the buck at 78 (lasered) yards standing straight on directly in the brisket, he dropped at the shot after a violent falling flip.

We recovered the cup section of the bullet in the rear of the rumen with a retained weight of 168 grs.

Very suitable performance from a conventional cup and core soft.

Again , just personal observation. Your results may vary.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience is with bullets for 9.3x74 and .300WM - all perfectly satisfactory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used the 375 H&H mag. but never recovered a bullet yet, always passes through even a Texas Heart shot. Pretty good ammo

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.