April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jason Dubois, David Kinton, 1 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm about to have my house termite fumigated. I'm wondering if I have anything to worry about with corrosion? Anything else?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt it, unless they've made it into your stocks. Tape some plastic around your safe if nothing else. Don't forget to buy a new toothbrush.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, good question. I am facing the same dilemma, and discussions with two national termite companies have failed to generate a straight answer. These guys either don't know (a bad sign) or won't say (another bad sign).

On a related note, I told the termite companies that I would NOT give them a key to the house or garage while the structure is under the tent. Told them I would be happy to meet them at the property whenever they wanted to access the interior. That did not sit well with them, so I'm still looking for a service company.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Terminix guy did say they add teargas to the gas to drive out animals. I'm wondering if teargas has any corrosive characteristics.

Last edited by Chuck H; 03/30/07 09:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Teargas? So how do the animals get out, assuming they did a halfway decent tenting job? My cousin had to have his house treated for some kind of boring beetles (log house), and they used formaldehyde, and there wasn't any kind of bug anywhere when they were done. The State EPA dude came and checked on them while they were doing it, too. They had a rig that recovered the gas after the treatment. It did/does not corrode anything, and left no residue on anything. Sounds to me like the commercial exterminator outfits are using a petroleum carrier insecticide is all. Shouldn't be corossive, but hard to say with certainty.
I had a big run in with Terminix and Orkin when I lived in NC. They did not want to kill "all" the bugs in my opinion. I guess they figured if they did that, I wouldn't need them anymore. I told them I would sign a yearly contract, but if I saw any bugs, anytime after two months, I wanted a full refund. They wouldn't do it. I went with some small local guy and was very pleased.

I don't know a lot about termites, but my local guy doesn't bring any chemicals into my house. He "planted" about a dozen receptacles in the yard near the concrete foundation, and pours some liquid in each about three times a year. I think it is supposed to poison the little buggers before they get into the house.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be on the safe side and move 'em - that is unless you have 4-5 vaults full?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I'd be on the safe side and move 'em -

Yeah, but then my wife would notice how many I actually have.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My understanding is that they use Vikane gas to kill the termites, which kills everything that lives, plants included. The 'stakes' they plant in the ground are for ground termites. I have 'dry termites' and I believe there are also ground termites in this region. So, they treat both ways out here.

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
The Terminix guy did say they add teargas to the gas to drive out animals. I'm wondering if teargas has any corrosive characteristics.

Based on my serving jury duty, tear gas is a powder and it remains in a house forever. If they truly used tear gas, you would have to repaint the whole interior and wash every surface not painted. In the trial I was on, the homeowner complained they were still irritated 1 year later from the residue left by 2 grenades shot through the walls.
Just as a point of information on the power of those grenades, as I recall one was shot through a (closed) door and released in the room inside, the second I think went through a window then through an interior wall and released in the room on the other side

cheers Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.