April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, CJF, Jem Finch, ClapperZapper, battle, 1 invisible), 452 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,220
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#380270 10/12/14 08:51 AM
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good Day Gentlemen:

I posted on ths site about an N.R. Davis gun that had work performed by a well known gunsmith. The thing that bothers me is that when I got the gun out yesterday, I noticed two deep score marks in the left barrel. These are about 1/2" long and are quite deep. They lie about 3" in front of the chamber and both line up in the same plane. These go around the inside of the barrel tangent to the bore.

In my experience wirth machine shop work, these score moarks could be formed by many ways. I can remember where a chip had been "caught"between the cutter and the stock and produced this type of damage. This is the gun in which the gunsmith lengtened the forcing cones without my knowledge. Would the proces of lengthening the forcing cones cause this?

I fired the both barrels once each, killing a pheasant. The gun was cleaned and stored. I never saw any bore damage before the gun had been altered. I never looked for damage after the gun had been returned to me. Why shold I?

I contacted the gunsmith and he suggested that I send him the barrels. My fear is that the barrels are not very heavy and any removal would insure that I now have a wall hanger!

Any suggestions?

Stay well my friends,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately, I believe you now have a wall hanger

Randy's much discussed Baker blow out with deep tool marks presumed to have occurred when lengthening the forcing cones

SAC 16g subjected to chamber lengthening. Hard to see but most obvious at 1:00; I think there are 4 linear marks, possibly from the pilot? Also pits and 4 circumferential small bulges.

As we discussed on your other thread, the wall thickness may no longer matter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, but has the question been asked of the Gunsmith as to why he lengthened the forcing cones in the first place? Lagopus.....

Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All:

Yes, those are indeed the marks as shown in the top picture! Mine are much deeper than what is shown in that photo!

I asked why he lengthened the forcing cones, I got no answer. That was one of those B.S. operations that only benefit the gunsmith. Doing this on a shot gun that is a century old, was more B.S. At least he could have consulted before he made the change!

I though that I could enjoy hunting with a family heirloom but now I have nothing! Right now, I am really upset!

Thanks for the replies,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those marks look typical of using a machine driven cutter possibly with a follower to keep it central and cutting swarf has worked its way in between the barrel walls and the follower or the cutter itself. Also it could be a case of insufficient coolant/lubricant flow to clear the cutting swarf, so it gets trapped. A blunt cutter though this should never be the case at all if the person is a careful craftsman or woman. Those marks are the best argument for using a reamer by hand with lots of cutting oil and above all taking your time.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

Franchi-
Since I first stoked your anxiety, let me be the first to tell you the truth pertaining to your barrels.

You don't know their condition. Yet.

Drew- be careful posting pics of others failed barrels, as the pics can mislead the original poster, or prompt errant posts referring to someone else's actual barrels. Not those of the OP.

Franchi- get your barrels to someone than can measure them accurately and precisely, and then use that data to compare your barrels to another set from that period.

If you get that data, someone will provide comparison data here and then you can see what you actually have without guessing or anxiety.

I have seen terrible machining marks factory delivered on guns with more than 100 years of service.

All is not lost.
Just your vintage doubles alteration virginity.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ: how should the images be better labeled? The OPs is a Davis; the others clearly labeled a Baker and SAC.

Actual translation: "A Picture's Meaning Can Express Ten Thousand Words" or the words of newspaper editor Arthur Brisbane to the Syracuse Advertising Men's Club, in March 1911: "Use a picture. It's worth a thousand words."

Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

Drew- Your posting of another person's blown out barrel was immediately interpreted by the OP as the same as his barrels.

Franchi should post an image of his barrels.

His barrels are not Randy's barrels.

The OP might have been better served to provide a link to follow.
I cannot tell if Damascus was interpreting what he saw within the image you posted, or was he postulating what might be an issue with the unseen Franchi barrels.
I think he was looking at your unrelated picture when he posted potential scoring causes.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Franchi,
Take your gun out and use it from time to time, and enjoy it.As long as you don't let an obstruction get into the gun or otherwise abuse it, you won't likely have a problem.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Original Poster's reply;
Quote:
Yes, those are indeed the marks as shown in the top picture! Mine are much deeper than what is shown in that photo!
Underlinig added for emphysis. Doesn't appear to me the OP interpreted those pics as being "His", nor did I. In fact I see no evidence that anyone did. It was in fact quite plain to me that Drew was asking the OP if his marks were similar to these he was showing, & he did as he said state the guns they were on. I don't see how anyone could misunderstand that unless they were trying REAL HARD to do so.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.