April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Argo44, Roundsworth, Kip, 2 invisible), 851 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#33115 03/29/07 04:47 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All,

Grateful for comment on the worth of intercepting sears. Tried to raise the issue in the long discussion Ken Hurst started on making a modern version of the Lefever. Poster G.P. argued for possibly considering a hammer block as an safety-enhancing alternative. Both he and I recognize that adding intercepting sears would be a change to the basic Lefever design. But it could be a salutory change depending on the views heard and, of course, on the extra costs.

Of especial value would be comment from gunsmiths and doublegun fundi.

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

An intercepting safety is another line of defence agains accidental discharge.

I think it matters little whether this is an intercepting safety sear, like those used in Boss and Purdey sidelocks or an intercepting safety bolt, like in some Scott guns.

The point is - what is there to stop the tumbler hitting the striker in the event that the sear/bent connection should fail or be jolted out whithout the trigger being pulled.

If you don't have an intercepting safety, the gun WILL fire if the sear is jolted out of the bent, with an intercepting safety, it will be prevented from so doing.

Well made locks accidentally discharge rarely to the point of never, but that extra insurance has to be credited as a better system in my opinion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,

Hammer block is not a bad or new idea. Bakers had hammer blocks about 100 years ago. Take a look at the design. It may work in your application.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally, I have always felt the hammer block as used on the American Bakers (other than the batavia line) was about the best of all systems. With mechanical connections & the safety engaged there is simply not much chance of it moving. I have also felt an intercepting sear should work somehow in a different direction than the primary sear, less a blow sufficient to "Jar Off" the sear also jar the interceptor out of engagement position. The Lefever design with it's sear engagement on the outer periphery of the hammer is less subject to jar off than those engaging close to the axle. Another very good sear design in my opinion is one found on a J P Sauer/VL&D sidelock ca 1900 I own. This sear also engages on the outer periphery, but the sear itself is mounted vertical & it's pivot is near center. Thus it does not have a "Heavy End" to be so easily moved by a blow.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't change the design, it’s a Lefever keep it exactly as it was designed. There is no such thing as a mechanical safety, all mechanical safeties fail. The ONLY safety that exists is to keep at all times the barrels pointed in a safe direction. But what does that mean, it means don't run and fall in a gopher hole cause your all excited about seeing a bird, spilling your gun on the ground like a fool. It means while your hunting you move slow, and I mean as slow as molasses in winter time, know where at all times to place your feet and approach all and I mean all situations, which takes experience, where it could possibly be dangerous and then move even slower.
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,
Could you elaborate on advantage of sear engagement on the outer periphery of the hammer as it pertains to reduced probability of disengaging accidentally?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be tough to come up wit a more simple, foolproof design then one similar to the Baker hammerblock system. A true, English pattern intercepting sear design requires bunches of parts, very delicately fitted up, and, might be very difficult to engineer into the Lefever cocking hook, boxlock design-remember, the Lefever only looks like a sidelock, Tim. It is a boxlock.
The actual "need" for a mechanism to prevent accidental firing, on a limited production bird and clays use double, is likely slim to none. I'd like to believe the eventual users will be a thoughtful lot. Excepting a V grade Darne I once owned, none of my past guns has had them, and I've never had the need.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig,
While retaining a vintage design is admirable and your advice on hunting and gun handling well meaning and probably practicle to adhere in many situations, hunting in itself often pushes the physical limits of hunters and events often occur which can lead to potentially unsafe situations. There are undoubtedly stories all here can tell. Of course, one can point out the faults of the hunters/gunhandlers in each situation cited. However, the fact remains; guns pointing in unsafe directions or being dropped, mishandled, or an AD happens and it happens relatively frequently.

Managing risk is part of the biz I'm in. We can't eliminate it but we evaluate risk using all available good tools and information. Service history is a big one. Regardless of how we recommend a product be operated, service history is the reality. It cannot be ignored where lives are at stake. If we instruct operators to use our product a certain way, yet there are numerous examples of operators using it another way where a hazard is created, if the consequences and probabilities of occurrence are high, we explore a solution that will reduce the risk to an acceptable level.

It's a matter of deciding if the Lefever design is within an acceptable risk and if further reduction in risk is needed or desirable balanced against the cost(effort, time, money, etc.).

This discussion is a good one, IMO. Now is the time to have these discussions and to see if practicable design solutions can reduce risk that is known in the proposed design.

Chuck, I think Miller just meant that sear-bent contact points nearer the axle require (create) higher engagement forces to resist a given spring torque, so are more prone to slip / break / whatever if something bad, or a combo of bads develops (like wear, etc.).

Fred
Fred #33163 03/29/07 11:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Intercepting sears are usually, if not only, seen on sidelocks. The sear/hammer design and relationship on a Lefever side-plate Syracuse action is so different from the typical sidelock action, trying to add intercepting sears would be as useful as adding air conditioning to a motorcycle and probably more difficult. Has anyone ever heard of a Lefever jarring loose and firing accidentally. Lefever claimed it couldn't happen. That's certainly more believable than the claim of a continuous tapered choke, from chamber to muzzle.
If you're going to build a Lefever reproduction, reproduce the Lefever design, for Petes's sake.

> Jim Legg <

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.