April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,128 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. Make certain gun is cocked before removing locks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gnomon is correct. Having had this gun in the past, once you have removed the lever screw....reinsert it till it hits the back of the opposite side plate....then push and the opposite side lock will come free. Then take the lever screw and insert it into the just opened side...till it hits the back of the remaining side lock , and push, it will then free. It the locks are tight in the wood they do not just fall out....you see chipped wood around locks from guys trying to remove them by gentle prying.. This lock is a copy of the Holland & Holland side lock lever srew.

Last edited by Condor; 09/16/14 04:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 1951 vintage Uggie and it threw me a bit the first time I had the locks off because the cocking rods have a spring which lifts them up (or pushes them down, I can't remember) into the way when replacing the sideplates. You need to press on the cocking levers at the front of the frame to get them into position for the locks to go back on. I don't know if any other sidelocks are similar?
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few of the George Granger sidelocks have a system where the trigger for the lock is pushed forward, and the lock is released, and pops up at the rear to be removed.
I saw a gun built on this system in the mid 1990s, when I was at the shop. There is nothing external and no way to see if it is a removable sidelock.
I have no idea when the company started using that system. I have also seen Grangers with the more typical small lever.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
I have a 1951 vintage Uggie and it threw me a bit the first time I had the locks off because the cocking rods have a spring which lifts them up (or pushes them down, I can't remember) into the way when replacing the sideplates. You need to press on the cocking levers at the front of the frame to get them into position for the locks to go back on. I don't know if any other sidelocks are similar?
CHAZ

Cocking lever springs on Spanish side lock guns are less common now than was the case back in the 1950s and 1960s. Even back then it was a hit-or-miss kind of thing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.