May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 694 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#376590 08/30/14 06:35 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can't find much info on these guns. in particular the model F. If anyone knows they will on be here. The gun in question is marked model F and also B.C My Luck, both on the receiver bottom and the rib. I've seen My Luck a few times on Miroku guns. No idea what the intent was but then again it's Japanese, once had a Fairlady auto!

My questions are when were these made. I am thinking before the Browning/Miroku collaboration. Or were they made at the same time and marketed to countries other than the U.S.? They appear to be very similar to the Browning/Miroku side lock guns. Any info is appreciated!

Chief

ChiefAmungum #376593 08/30/14 07:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

These were made ca. 1960 or little later. There were 0/U and SxS BL guns with double triggers and usually came with extractors. Last one I have seen was A&D BLNE with DTs, PG stock and semi-splinter for end game rib and sling swivels. It was basically light weight BSS with extractors and double triggers. These guns were made before Browning contracted B.C. Miroku to made their O/U guns.

ChiefAmungum #376598 08/30/14 08:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

PJ,

I can agree with the '60's. This is a sidelock gun though. Very much like the Browning/Miroku sidelock from the '70's. It has double triggers and is an extractor gun. I have seen some with ejectors for sale also. I have seen quite a few of the boxlock Miroku My Luck guns and they are a good bit lighter than the BSS's. Usually a good buy too!

Thanks!

ChiefAmungum #376600 08/30/14 08:28 PM
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Box lock "My Lucks" and also a model 52, but marked with Roman numerals and the B.C. Miroku/Charles Daly model 500 are all similar SxS's w/varying degrees of finish & features. All of those models pre-date the browning connection. I have the understanding the SxS's go back to the 50's, but nothing to prove it beyond what I've been told by some Japanese collector/shooters that I know. Numbers of those SxS guns have rather short butt stocks.

I've not seen one marked exactly as you describe, but nothing from that time frame [late 50's~early 60's] would surprise me in the least. Japan was in its "coming out stage" and beginning to go global and exporting to numerous markets. Change was rampant and things like names were misunderstood and had different connotations in different markets & countries w/some translations being simply odd & not making much sense. A model F could be but a variant of an existent gun being marketed under the 'My luck' banner. I don't know.

I can't tell you much about the side lock guns except that they existed from sometime in the 50's anyway and most, if not all, of them had chopper lump bbls. and could be ordered on a semi-bespoke basis in Japan .... by the chosen few. Post war firearms laws there remain strict beyond belief. I don't know about today, but 20 years ago something as silly as modifying a choke constriction in a fixed choke shotgun was enough to get it confiscated and the Japanese owner in super hot water when the required inspection times came up. That's a very good reason to get it made like you wanted it to begin with. The two side lock guns that I have seen with the locks exposed looked very well executed and the inletting was sound as was the wood to metal fit. I've never owned one of them, so can't speak to their durability, but would expect it to be quite good.

OTOH, I've owned and used several of the BLNE's SxS's mentioned above and never had an issue with one of them. BSS's have a good reputation for a reason.

On the O/U's they started producing and exporting in the early 60's, I've broken main springs in two of the small bore small framed guns. After much use I had to have new larger diameter lower firing pins fabricated w/discs reamed accordingly and fitted in the same two guns and had the upper ejector welded back together and re-tempered on one of them. It was the earlier two-piece design & my thot was that it wasn't tempered correctly to begin with. Both of those guns have seen extended use. One went through a German importer before coming here and the other came in through Charles Daly when they were still in NY; both early 60's, Nam era. I've shot several large framed Daly Miroku 12's extensively and have never had an issue with one of them. Today's Browning Citoris have a very fine reputation and are basically today's iteration of those guns.

Perhaps something of use here for you. Best,
tw

ChiefAmungum #376603 08/30/14 08:47 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks tw,

This gun has chopper lump barrels, seems to be very high build quality. Nice 50-60 percent scroll engraving on CC. There has been a pad added to make the LOP 14 1/4" Just a shade over 6#. It is choked I/C-F, not the usual combination. Used, not abused condition. Somebody liked the gun enough to use it and take care of it too.

Yep, you have to love those Japanese product names!

SO, the consensus so far is 50's-60's manufacture. Good stuff, thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.