April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jolly Bill, JDH, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 469 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,086
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In my professional life, I head up the real estate department for a regional retailer; and in the process of finalizing a deal in New Braunfels, TX today, wished the individual I was working with there in market a great Labor Day weekend. He thanked me and said it would be a big event for his family, as it was time for the annual family dove shoot on their ranch. The mention of dove shooting immediately peeked my interest, so I then asked what he would be shooting; hoping, of course, that he'd shock me by telling me he'd be shooting an old Syracuse Arms gun. Instead he responded that he'd be shooting a twenty gauge, but not a twenty gauge whatever; so I pressed and asked if it was pump, semi-auto, side x side, OU, etc.? Imagine my surprise when he responded that he'd be shooting one of a matched pair of cased Purdy over/unders, and his wife would be shooting the other. So we started talking shotguns, and to summarize the story on this matched pair; seems he's been married to this lady for little over a year, that his father in law had owned this gun many years; and given him the gun as a wedding gift. It has supposedly never been fired, having languished in it's leather case since new. Based on his description of the family ranch, which his father in law stocked years ago with exoitc African animals (and has deeded to him and his wife!). I suppose I'm sharing this story, because I'm wishing we could all have married so well; and also because I've not yet won the lottery either. At any rate I was invited to the family dove shoot during the conversation, and the Good Lord above knows how much I would really, really have liked to attend; but alas, I won't be that fortuante either.......maybe someday?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, great story. If only this individual knew how much you know about SACs and L.C. Smiths I think would surprise him or anyone.

You do have wealth........... all the knowledge about these guns would be hard to put a price on.

When you talk about his father-in-law and the exotic species he put on his property, you are not talking about a few hundred acres, but probably a few thousand, so he had the money for a few good guns, and yes it would be nice for that to happen to any of us.

I hope you get a chance to go out an have fun over the weekend and it is always nice to talk with you.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for sharing this and I am pleased the Purdys are
being used smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom,does his wife have a sister that is not married? Bobby

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bbman3
Tom,does his wife have a sister that is not married? Bobby

Bobby, you forgot to ask him to send a photo of any shotguns she may have. wink Gil

topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Tom,does his wife have a sister that is not married? Bobby"

Given that I was still trying to absorb all the fascinating details this gent had shared with me regarding his ranch; the thought honestly never occured to ask. And although I'm certain my wife would make sure that I never had the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of any such dalliance were my circumstanes different, and were I to be so fortunate; I'm sure I could learn to love a gal with the "right" shotguns, regardless of her looks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Thank you for sharing this and I am pleased the Purdys are
being used smile
Purdys are paintbrushes, Purdeys are Limey shotguns- not too shabby either. I wish I had kept my Granddad's old Island Lock hammer Purdey= His Father, my maternal Great-Grandfather, took it in payment for a bareknuckle prize fight he won in Dublin in 1905-- from a crooked boxing promoter (aren't they all though) who tried to Welsh out on paying him his cash purse.

Seamus O'Malley was not a man to trifle with, he had a hot Mick temper-- He never shot it, gave it to my Grandfather Sean O'Malley to hunt with. If I could have any of the Limey "Bests" I would want a matched pair of Boss 12 bore game guns, but a matched pair of Purdey's(Not Purdy's) would not be too shabby either. Sort of like having to choose between a BMW or a Mercedes Benz--A decision I have yet to make ah yes!!!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story, Tom. I wish you could be there for the shoot, and the fellowship. I was once on a flight from Atlanta to Augusta with some Texans with shotguns in slips. They were taking them on the plane as "carry-ons", so you can guess how long ago that's been. They were going to a dove shoot near Augusta "sommers". I can picture you doing the same, in the other direction.

You're always welcome to shoot with me here in Burke and Screven counties. Just say the word and it's done. Not quite as long a trip. I promise to use my Smith.

All my best, Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've accepted an invitation to a Washington DC fundraiser for the Atlantic Salmon Federation and then for Thanksgiving on a 600-cow farm along the river outside Louisville, Kentucky. Turkeys around there, season open?

topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan
Many thanks for the invitation, and I sure hope to take you up on that offer some day. Years ago I used to hunt some down in Burke County near Waynesboro; had a pack of beagles and had some great times running cottontails in the heads around those huge open fields (not many rabbits in my part of N. GA in those days). Also had a great time down there at the Bole Weevil Planation; don't know if that operation is still in business, but they had the hardest flying pen-raised quail I've ever shot. Eighteen months ago my wife and I moved to Townville, SC (so I could take advantage of a great job opportunity in Greenville) and I don't know a soul in this area other than Bill McPhail and Tom Martin; which as we all know is pretty good company, but I haven't had the time to find places to ramble. I do however, have an invitation to a dove shoot tomorrow in Madison County, GA near Ila; supposed to show up with a shotgun and smile about 11:AM and be prepared to enjoy some old fashioned southern style bar-be-cue, and I am super excited! Haven't fired a shotgun since opening day last September, and I know I'll be rusty; but I did manage to have my cataracts repaired recently, so at least I'll be able to see a dove tomorrow before he's inside 20 yards! I'm taking an old 1901 vintage SAC gun that I'll be shooting for the very first time, so who knows whether I'll bag a bird or not; but at this stage in my life I don't care about limits and averages, just being there to experience the event and the fellowship will be quite a blessing by itself. I can't remember if the south GA season opens tomorrow or not; but I always enjoy seeing pix of you and your family's successful shoots, so I wish you guys lots of luck and fun. Best, Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.