April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dave Weber, PALUNC, Jerry G, FelixD, Perry M. Kissam, 1 invisible), 1,057 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,725
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, it's definitely 24. No question in my mind. I have my answer.

Thank you,

JDG

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I came up with 24 (as Jay did) by tracking a line away to the right, counting diamonds on the diagonal, then tracking another line to the right again to resume counting diamonds diagonally. Pretty darn sure it's 24.

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 07/01/14 11:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting Jay....

The ruler should have been a metal machinists scale/ruler in 64ths by 1" (scale 4) increments and laid in line/parallel with the checkering rows.

From these pictures I would say the LPI is 24/26. Very far from the 36 or 40 LPI mentioned on page one - which probably doesn't exist on any gun - - - 24/26 LPI puts this gun in line with all the published data for this grade of L.C. Smith.... Note the chart I posted on page one of this thread for L.C. Smith factory checkering LPI....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a high grade Sauer years ago with the finest checkering on a gun I have ever owned. It was 32 lpi on the butt and 28 on the fore end. The 32 was verified with a machinist ruler by a gunsmith that was showing me how to measure checkering. the wood was nice but not over the top like some exhibition stocks I have seen. The pattern was lovely and the gun was superb. One of the few guns I have sold that I wished I never let out of my sight. It was as nice as any Daily double of the same era. But family and bills had to be taken care of first so it went to a fellow in NJ. He is now dead, my gun is in some collectors safe and the money it brought is long spent. Sad ending for such a nice gun. Perhaps I come across it again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not see where the mat'l the scale is made of makes any difference. it should not be placed parallel to anything. It should lay perpendicular to one direction of the checkering. I did at one point in my life have an old .41 rimfire Swiss Vetterli rifle which had a coarse square checkering. In this case you would have laid the scale perpendicular to one line of the checkering & it would have been parallel to the other. You measure on the perpendicular though & with a Diamond pattern you're not parallel to either set of rows.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just measured the checkering on this Schutzen rifle in my collection. I believe it has the smallest checkering on any firearm I own and it came out as 26 per inch. This checkering IMO is so fine it's not very useful in providing a good gripping surface. I frankly can't even imagine the purpose of checkering over 30 per inch.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 07/02/14 10:42 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree about 32 being too fine. It was explained to me that the reason for the coarser fore end checkering was to make it better for gripping. Sadly I never shot the Sauer very much, still in my early auto/pump and magnum phase of youth. I have seen very fine checkering on side panels right behind the breech face but that is just decorative so too fine is no problem.

Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To me, 24-lpi is about the cutoff between something practical and something that is not. I think the checkering on Dicks Grade 5 is very elegant (especially with that pattern) and is befitting a gun of that age and grade. Unfortunately the fellow who did my checkering did so with 16-lpi, which is not bad until you see it next to an original.

Thanks again to all who posted.

JDG

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first gun with Turkish wood I had recheckered was done at 28 lines per inch because I could - the wood took it well. The checkering is too small for a good grip, but it sure is pretty! Now I stick to 24 lines per inch for most checkering. On simple field guns I go to 20 or 22 lip as it looks more appropriate for the grade of gun and provides excellent grip, as it is supposed to.
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW; 07/02/14 12:32 PM.

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.