March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Roundsworth, 12boreman, WBLDon, Travis S), 634 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

PA 24,
I have sent pics of the checkering to Jay. Perhaps he will post same for your expert opinion, as I don't have a gauge.
An observation--- you seem to have a vast knowledge of the subject of Smiths, apparently obtained from studying Brophy and Houchin's books. This may come as a revelation to you, but BOTH publications contain a number of errors and many have been noted by those of us who concentrate on Smiths. Futher, Grade 5's were made to order-- for example, the serrated triggers on my gun. Finally, those of us who collect Smiths have a saying--- "Never say never"
I don't appreciate your BS comment---that was uncalled-for when I was trying to help another poster.
Dick Miller

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Laxcoach
PA 24,
I have sent pics of the checkering to Jay. Perhaps he will post same for your expert opinion, as I don't have a gauge.
An observation--- you seem to have a vast knowledge of the subject of Smiths, apparently obtained from studying Brophy and Houchin's books. This may come as a revelation to you, but BOTH publications contain a number of errors and many have been noted by those of us who concentrate on Smiths. Futher, Grade 5's were made to order-- for example, the serrated triggers on my gun. Finally, those of us who collect Smiths have a saying--- "Never say never"
I don't appreciate your BS comment---that was uncalled-for when I was trying to help another poster.
Dick Miller

So let's see here Dick Miller a.k.a. Laxcoach:

The Books are Wrong, Professional Checkering folks with over 30 years experience are wrong, My 50 years gun smithing experience is wrong and everybodys thread pitch gauges are wrong with respect to L.C. Smith Grade 5 Guns........BUT you are right...........really......

BTW, any publication the size and detail of Houchins book, has errors....The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson is about the same size and has about the same number of errors, so what. The volumes of information they offer in one book is more than worthwhile, maybe you should read one sometime.

So then as you are "trying to help" a poster you value your "guessing" and "winging it" more than facts and information in dedicated publications and general knowledge on a given topic.......Is this how "those of us who collect Smiths" that you mention, establish information and "help" others........?......I doubt it.....

Since you are so knowledgeable, post the pictures of your Grade 5 L.C. Smith right here on this thread, if you know how, and let "the board" decide how many Lines Per Inch your gun "actually has", you say 36 or 40 LPI.......b.s.......don't depend on "someone else" to post your pictures.....

Good Luck

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

The person who is most important in this thread, Jay Gardner, has received the pics and is most appreciative. Your "credentials" mean nothing to me and, apparently, a lot of other people who have sent me PMs about your general attitude.
End of subject.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't own anything as fine as a Grade 5, but both Syracuse L.C. Smith Quality F hammergun and Quality 2 hammerless, which were the lowest grades had 22-24 lpi, so I have to agree with what Dick has said. These were special order guns, and you could get what you wanted on them.
Dick was also right about both books, there are vast mistakes in them, but without these there was no foundation to go on and compare.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Laxcoach:

According to all the PM's I received on you and your posting here, the consensus summary is that you are not too bright and you are in perfect company with your cronies..... As they say "birds of a feather fly together"......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Laxcoach

The person who is most important in this thread, Jay Gardner, has received the pics and is most appreciative. Your "credentials" mean nothing to me and, apparently, a lot of other people who have sent me PMs about your general attitude.
End of subject.

Let's see those pics. Close up and with a decent ruler on top of the checkering. I not only want to see this but I also would like to count the lines.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen, please. I ask a relatively straight forward question and I see no reason to attack each other. Laxcoach was kind enough to send me photos of his beautiful Grade 5, which is almost identical to the one PA24 posted. Unfortunately Dick does not have a gauge so he sent a photo with a tape measure laying across the grip. How about we count and see if we can all agree on the same number.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its rather hard to get an accurate count from a picture like this especially when the tape is not perpendicular to either set of lines. My best guess from this pic is it is in the range of 28 LPI.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I enlarged the photo, then counted the lines and I came up with 24, on the nose.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The middle picture with the tape is too dark to count lines so I tried to visualize the tape as being on the gun in the top pic. I came up with 26 but I'll go with you 2-piper on 28 lines per inch. These guys need a thread guage to accurately measure the checkering. It is far from the 40 lines per inch someone stated in a previous post. 40 lines per inch would mean that there is only .025 of an inch between lines.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.