Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I never thought anyone would use Formby's Lemon oil, or actual Lemon grass oil, as a gun stock finish.

Best,
Ted

Ted,

I didn't intend to use it as a stock finish, the stock is finished. Just wondered if it would be an easy way to make the finish "pop" like it does to my old oak furniture.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gspspinone
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I never thought anyone would use Formby's Lemon oil, or actual Lemon grass oil, as a gun stock finish.

Best,
Ted

Ted,

I didn't intend to use it as a stock finish, the stock is finished. Just wondered if it would be an easy way to make the finish "pop" like it does to my old oak furniture.

I really wasn't implying that you did that, it seemed the guy with the light bulb and the gun had someone do it to a gun he wanted to buy.

I've used "Lemon Grass oil" for years on two things I own-guns that have an oil finish of any type that have been out hunting or shooting, and a set of Klipsch speakers that I bought back in the day, and requested to be built in black walnut cabinets that were oil finished. The people at Klipsch suggested lemon grass oil, and the method they told me to use is to very lightly dampen a clean terry cloth towel with water, and to apply a small amount of oil-the water keeps the oil up on the towel, instead of it soaking into the fibers. Gently wipe, with the grain.
I've had a few guns get dusty while out on the road, and this method does an excellent job of getting the grime off. I doubt it does anything for the finish, or, the wood, but, it does leave the surface cleaner than it was. It actually works OK for a gun with a varnish finish that gets grubby also. I don't like wiping varnish down with a dry cloth, and use the same method for those guns.
We've had some dry and dusty years of late.

I've never used Formby's product.

Dr. Sane, I have been here a long time, but, that optimistic part of me always wanted to believe there was more talk of stupid things done to guns, rather than actual stupid actions.

I might have been wrong.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen furniture almost blackened by constant overuse of lemon oil. I also saw two guns I sold darkened drastically by oil rubbing by the new owners, but did not know what type of oil was used. No thanks! Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll stick with Renaissance Wax

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
I'll stick with Renaissance Wax

I bought some....did a quick 2 coats on my B. rizzini and my Ugartechea....I'm sold!! Great stuff. I formerly used Trewax for my stocks but no longer, the Renaissance Wax gives a depth of finish that's fantastic, and it feels really smooth without a ton a rubbing. Can't wait to see how it holds up to the weather.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Howard's Restor A Finish [numerous colors] and Renaissance Wax is all you need with elbow grease. No Brag ...just fact.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a chuckle here---my grandpa had a 1932 Olds he inherited in 1954 from Arthur Hubalek, one day we woke up to see the olds shining in the sun in the driveway. Grandma says she woke up early and polished it, since the paint was oxidized and dull. Wind picked up around noon, and all the dust stuck to the car. What did you use to polish the car? Lemon oil, just like the furniture, of course says grandma. Oh, well, it looked good for a couple of hours...PS: The Olds had about 8000 miles on the clock-it was a Brooklyn car, the subway was more convenient, and yes it was from The Arthur Hubalek, scheutzen rifle builder.

hippie redneck geezer
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.