March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem with bulges is that it requires much peening to bring the metal back into place. This peening is more than likely to pop the rib solder joints loose. I have sworn off trying to repair ring bulges because of this. However, a minor bulge, as mentioned by Bill, I might try again. In the case of a ring bulge you cannot get the part of the bulge that is under the ribs anyway, without removing the ribs and relaying them. Now, you're really getting into an expensive repair. Better be some valuable barrels.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

plus, according to old ed, the bulge will soon return when the gun is fired a few times, as the metal has been make weak by "working it".

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

A damaged 20-gauge DS-Grade Lefever is a good platform for liberal application of dollars --

Now a 28-gauge.

I had a CE-Grade Ansley H. Fox with a ring bulge in the left barrel, probably from a stuck wad, about 18-inches from the breech. Shot a lot of Southern California Doves with that gun in the 1970s, and that bulge never changed from Bill English's pounding it down. Eventually sold the gun to the Hartmann Brothers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A small bulge in a low pressure area won't return under normal use. You just need to find a gunsmith that will address the situation. My situation was a DH grade Parker with two sets of Titanic barrels, one with vent rib, one 32", both severely dented . For a $400 purchase price, I figured I had a good project. I was right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never seen a bulge return. Not to say it can't happen, but if anything the metal in that area has been work hardened, not made more soft. A ring bulge I would tend to agree cannot be removed completely without removing the ribs. However, to my mind the same holds true. It's been brought out to a level which requires even more pressure to take further. Take out what you can see, test your rib, and keep an eye on it for a little while to see if the ribs starts getting loose. While I have not done a ton of them, none got worse or came back. If the gun's not yours, warn the owner of the slight potential that there may be future issues, but I don't believe things are inherently more dangerous. If you repeat the cause of the first bulge, it will bulge again, but so will a new barrel.
JMO,
Jim
Oh, Jon, I would need to look more closely perhaps, but I think I could safely get that barrel back to normal. It would require a re-blue, but would look and work fine as far as I can tell from the pic. Price for the gun is WAY too high, I agree.

Last edited by JimfromTrafalgar; 05/19/14 04:56 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.