April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jimmy W, eeb), 1,158 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Was bored and surfing the web last week when I saw this link that said "Syracuse Deluxe"; interest level thus tweaked, I clicked on the link and saw 3 pix of a pre-1902 vintage OO Grade Syracuse gun laying atop an old "mutton leg" leather case. And although this was a low-grade SAC gun, it was obviously in high condition; so I corresponded with the seller and finally picked up the gun last evening from my FFL. This is the closest to new condition SAC gun I've seen or handled; not a single screw has been turned since it left its maker, and the gun retains nearly all original case colors, blue, and wood finishes. The gun came from a seller in Indiana, and gave me this story. He purchased the gun from a 83 year local guy who told him that his grandfather had purchased the gun and leather case new. He used the gun only a few times then gave the gun to his grandson as a birthday gift, who subsequently used the gun a single time; then placed the gun back inside it's "mutton leg" case where it stayed until it was sold to the seller. The serial number and production features date this gun to 1901, and I honestly don't think this thing has received any attention since it was entombed inside its case. I don't plan to disassemble the gun for cleaning (will leave that to the pros); but will clean outside metal surfaces. But I'm not sure of the wood, which is obviously bone dry; what should I rub onto/into wood surfaces to nourish the wood a bit? The leather case remains in good condition (still has the little skeleton lock key tied by a string on the buckle), but is also dry as an old bone with some of the original stitching dry-rotted; what is the best product to rub into, and condition the leather a bit? I believe I've handled and examined as many SAC guns as anyone(?)and most have been shot hard, carried, used, abused, and neglected so that it was impossible to make an accurate assessment of the original quality of the piece. Although this example is SAC's low-end Grade OO gun, I am thoroughly impressed as to the quality of workmanship exhibited; the wood to metal fit is prefect, and all screws are perfectly aligned. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, let's see some pics. I love high end condition guns, even if low grades.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations on the find, Tom. I'd sure like to see pics, too. Otherwise, I may contact you ahead and come by next time I shoot up at Elberton. Sure would like to see her. I will leave the answers to your questions to the experts in those fields.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Desert dwellers deal regularly with dried out wood and leather Tom. For wood I like Lemon Oil, then Howard Feed-N-Wax. Orange Oil is great stuff, but will darken the wood slightly, which sometimes is a good thing.
Scroll to the bottom for some leather products
http://www.lcsmith.org/faq/cleangun2.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, are you going to show it to admirers at Sanford??
PA-LEEEZZE.
Ian.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

1)A full view of SAC Grade 00, SN22693 (1901 production; barrels are 28”)
2)A close view of the frame showing case colors
3)The leather Leg-O-Mutton case marked “Royal” in which the gun has been stored for many decades.

topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl - IL send the pix I have to Drew and requested that he post same; these were copied from the seller's posting and aren't all that great. I'll get better pix later, but I believe these will communicate my point about condition.
Drew - Thanks for the tip on wood and leather treatments; and thanks in advance for posting pix.
Ian - I will be bringing this piece to the Southern; and am looking forward to seeing you there again next weekend.
Stan - I hope you're coming to the Southern next week; if you are, then I'll be around the Smith display most tent of the time and would love to meet you. If you're not coming then I'd certainly like to meet you in Elberton, for although a job opportunity has taken me to Greenville, SC; Elberton is still just down the road. All I ask is that you give me a little more time to get over this broken femur thing before we did some shooting; and once we started popping caps, you don't make too much fun of my shooting (in)ability! Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom and Hon. Rev-Doc - thanks for the pics and effort.
That oldie SAC and the aprčs-shoot gabfest will be the icing on the Sanford cake. Always enjoy Tom's Sanford bonhomie, instruction, and southern tales.
LOL - Ian.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom,

That is really a high condition SAC gun. What a great find. I cannot make the Southern next weekend. My work keeps me here planting corn and getting ready to plant cotton and peanuts this time of year, much more than I'd like. One of these days I'm going to turn it all over to my son and get to the Southern. I make the Fall Southern pretty often. I think we met briefly at the Oconee Gun Club years ago at a S x S shoot, but I was busy shooting and we didn't get to visit much. We'll shoot some at Elberton one day. Thanks.

Ya'll take lots of pictures next weekend, please.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun looks to be in beautiful condition, a wonderful find, congratulations. Can I assume that the brownish look of the barrels means that the rust blued barrels are reverting back to brown?

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.