April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (HMAK, fallschirmjaeger), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,977
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#360168 03/07/14 01:10 PM
Wrap Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have acquired this very neat double barrel pin fired shotgun and I am looking to learn more about it. The only markings are E.Blancke in Naumburg a/s. it is damasscus blued and has beautiful scrolling on it.

I want to post a few pics but don't know how.

m-4 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

E. Blancke is listed in Her Der Neue Stockel pg 111

Blancke E., Naumburg, Sachsen/D, ca 1850. QO

Let see some picture's!

m-4

Wrap Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

M-4 thanks for the rely. I don't know what Her Der Neue Stockel is but I am assuming its a book of German gun makers.

I want to post some pictures but can't figure out how. I am new to this site.

Wrap Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

M-4 . I looked and it sounds pretty complicated to add pictures. I don't have any pictures on a site to go to. I really want to learn about his gun. Would you be willing to email me and I can send you some pics?

Sidelock
Sidelock

E. Blancke, Naumburg an der Saale (on Saale river),state Sachsen-Anhalt (formerly GDR),gunsmith and retailer, died in 1887. The same year his children advertized the shop for sale.

Wrap Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Are his guns worth anything. This is an incredible beautiful gun, but I don't have any personal use for it . I would rather sell it to someone that will appreciate it more than I can and buy something my young boys can shoot.

Wrap Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

do you know of any antique dealers that might want it?

m-4 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of pictures of the gun

Wrap Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

m-4 thanks for getting these few pics up . I hope we can learn something about this gun. Regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parallel thread on Shogunworld; thought I'd add here:

Yeah, I have the same issue but with ammo, young jägers really don't care as long as it goes boom. Saying that the pinfire sporting weapons platform was short lived & was somewhat of a stop-gap measure would be a fair statement. Stronger powders & ignition systems made the pinfire platform obsolete in short order. With all that said, yes it is worth something but considering the very narrow time frame when the pinfire was accepted and that there are just a few pinfire collectors, the market is very, very narrow.

A tid bit more of info on E. Blancke of Naumburg an der Saale(Saxony) was that he must have been quite the artisan. Sources give that he was compared to Johann Mahr, a Hungarian immigrant to Naumburg on the River Saale. Johann Mahr arrived on the scene in circa 1820 with a hammer & file along with a desire to be the best. His occupation was that of a Kammfabrikant exporting his wares to the U.S. of A.(Amerika). He began with a small workshop and by the 1860s he had 2 steam engines and 200 mechanics. I don't think E. Blancke had the same support staff, but he is noted as beginning with meager means and then being sought out by Princes for his wares and winning awards at expos in München, Paris & London. The German adage of " Wo Tauben sind, da fliegen Tauben zu" is given to connect the two as well as other intellectuals that were drawn to Numburg an der Saale. Johann Mahr set the bar high and others followed.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.