May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (gunman), 841 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,542
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#358273 02/20/14 01:16 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's mid-morning several years ago and friend Jeff Loffert and I have let ourselves through the locked gate at Birchwood Shooting Park for a half day of shooting. Mondays and Tuesdays are days the range is closed to the public and it is exclusive members, generally an older crowd, that are there. Jeff works out of town and on the occasions he is in town for a few days we try to shoot.

The 50 yard and 100 yard ranges have people shooting and we drift to the far end of the ranges towards the long range benches looking for an unoccupied range. Jeff looks over at me with a catty look and says "Ah, Petrov is here." A fun day at the range is always transformed into an inordinately interesting and informative day with Michael there. We coast over behind Michael and glancing out the window it is obvious that there are no guns in the vicinity. We get out and Michael with his ear protectors on gives us his usual broad grin and shaking hands we exchange greetings. Michael's ear protectors are irony as his hearing is compromised and I'm not far behind.

Glancing around him, as his noteworthy height does not allow me to look over his shoulder, I see a handful of cartridges scattered on the bench and a string that leads down range about 20 yards to one of those large wooden khaki ammo boxes that has rope handles. By this time both Jeff and I are bursting with curiosity.

Michael picks up one of the cartridges and shows us a deep file cut just ahead of the cartridge web that must nearly pierce the brass and explains that he is trying to get head case separations. We walk with him to the box, he opens it and a beat up 1903 Springfield barreled action is lying in the box. He lifts the rifle up and extracts the case that has ruptured but the head has not separated. He repositions his setup and loads another round.

After we are back at the bench we put our ear protectors on and Michael lets loose another round. At the firing there is a loud thud and the box lurches rearward. We got to witness several more of these rounds before we settled into conversation.

Almost Buddha-like in methodology he believes little that he cannot confirm with his senses and logic. There is no faith in anything that I can detect. His methodologies require questioning and validation through experimentation. The Springfield action is one of the low serial number that are nearly universally held to be dangerous and he is testing this time honored belief that these actions will blow up and should not be shot.

I suggested he should publish his observations and he flatly states no one would publish this. In fact, he says that he once ground the front lug completely off a Springfield 1898 Krag to see if the long safety lug would hold. It did hold and through many rounds. He found that no one would publish this. His erudite investigation of the .400 Whelen headspace mythology is another example of his investigative approach which gave me the confidence to start such a rifle project.

These are traits that brought Michael to all of our attention, that led to the meticulous, detailed investigations that we see in this as well as many other forums. His books the end result of who he was and they are gifts to all of us.

Of great importance to me as a person, he appreciated my work and encouraged my projects. I got an email from him just days ago with a link to a Griffin & Howe Martini that was for sale that he thought I might be interested in. After several days we established that it was in fact marked on the lever with Griffin and Howe's early "Griffin & Howe, Inc. New York" and I bought it. He did not get to see it for it arrived two days before his death.

Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay "Friendship" reveals elements of the relationship so many of you have had the good fortune to establish with Michael. For those of you interested, it is a good read. It helps understand what distinguishes some men above so many and allows them to establish the kind of circle of friendship that Michael has. We should all try to be more like him.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for that Dennis, it shows another side of Michael that few know about and also demonstrates abilities that go beyond just researching custom rifles and photographing them.

It would be of interest to readers if others who knew Michael chipped in with their personal anecdotes.

Harry.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis, thank you for a good story. I like your idea of telling the stories of the man and our relationships with him.

I had seen Mike before, but actually met him and talked at an Anchorage gun show, probably in the mid 1970s. I had a table at the show and so did Sam Welch, the fine engraver from Kodiak, now in the Moab area. Mike had a table nearby, too. As it turned out we all had some interest in the same engraver, Rudolph Kornbrath. I had some Baker guns engraved by him, Mike knew about Hoffman and Griffin and Howe guns engraved by him, and Sam felt that Rudolph Kornbrath was sort of his engraving hero. We had a fine weekend exchanging thoughts, pictures, and holding different guns. From that time forward , I was fortunate to have both men as friends. Living in Alaska [Anchorage] gave myself, Mike , and others a chance to shoot together. For me it was mostly shotguns at the same range that Dennis describes above. Mike introduced me to black powder and also his admiration for Schaefer guns. Maybe this was before the time we all connected Schaefer guns with Lindner, Daly, Jakob, T.Golcher, and others. We learned a lot over the years, probably coming up on 40 years of "looking". Mike had other very major interests in rifles, as you know, rather than shotguns, but he always kept in touch with shotguns, too. Maybe our email conversations frequented once per week or two. One of the latest, when Mike was ailing, was a talk about a Wright shotgun, probably made, or finished, after Wright left Hoffman. His memory and wealth of information was incredible. Like others, I'll miss Mike, and I'll miss the opportunity to ask questions when they come up. Bless Mike and his Family.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/20/14 06:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis

I happened across this thread this morning and enjoyed reading it again. Having met and talked with both Michael and Jeff, it meant a little more to me and I would like to thank you for posting it. I envy you who were personally in contact with Michael frequently.

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never had the opportunity to meet him on a personal level; wish that I had. He was always the perfect gentleman & we had some quite funny laughs together with emails of one sort or another through a number of years. I received a signed copy w/a funny notation of his last book around the time he passed and we all lost both a friend and a wonderful resource of freely given information w/that sad event. He was nonpareil, in my book.

Last edited by tw; 11/26/14 08:21 PM. Reason: tense
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a nice Thanksgiving thread!

And I appreciate the Emerson reference--recently began re-reading his "Essays," which have been an inspiration for me since high school English. I have my grandfather's copy, which he bought in 1901 and carried in the left side of his saddlebag (on the opposite side from his S&W topbreak DA .44, which I also have.)

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.