April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (LeFusil, Ken Georgi, Stanton Hillis), 1,133 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think your going to hurt the overall population of Bobwhite (Colinus Virginianus} as long as your hunting these Texas bobwhite

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
If you've got birds and I can stay in your house as far as I am concerned she can read "The Thoughts of Chairman Mao" at breakfast every morning and my room can be papered in pictures of Barack and Michelle.

When it comes to bird hunting I am an open minded kind of guy.

So, when does season open?

LOL smile best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike if you went to size 7 1/2 shot and shot the same 5/8 load you would drop your number of pellets from 355 to 211 which should reduce the chance of stray pellets hitting non intended targeted birds. I know after all the shooting lessons given and taken by you and your gang this seems like over kill.

Perhaps you could go in another direction. Start by removing all the pellets and see if your wad is killing the second bird. If not then increase your shell's payload one pellet in the load at a time until you find the ultimate load. Perhaps a shot of your repute needs only one pellet or as you are getting up there in years you need more, like five or six. This should be more fair to the birds and not waste as many pellets with overkill you are experiencing.

Your concern about not killing too many quail is admirable but did you consider what may happen if others had your lease? I have seen too many lease taken by groups who compare number of birds killed with the lengthen of their peckers. Only happy with big kill numbers to brag about their shooting ability and willing to shoot until past dark or until the last bird has been killed on a lease. A good steward, such as your self, should not be too upset about an occasional accidental double. Some claim every bird you kill is the result of an accident or divine intervention, not of the side of the bird. Nasty things some friends say, nasty or envious.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
If you and Joe switch glasses, I think that will solve the original problem.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GaryW
A self-imposed limit is a noble gesture, the mark of a sportsman, and probably shows how much you and Joe have matured since your ground-sluicing, how many can we kill teen age days. It won't offset the amount of chemicals sprayed in farming areas nor the loss of habitat which I believe has contributed to the quail decline. Throw in the feral hog problem along with feral housecats on top of natural predators like bobcats, coyotes, raptors, etc. and the bobwhite quail is in trouble. Compare Mexico's population of quail and ask yourself what the difference is between here and there. Go hunt with a nice .410 double gun if you're worried about pattern spread; makes a nice excuse to buy another shotgun.

GaryW,

The "chemicals' sprayed were a real problem many years ago, not today. The pesticides sprayed today are almost all pyrethrin based, made from chrysanthemums, which are totally harmless to quail, and people as well. There were some bad ones when I first started farming in the early '70s, almost none in use today, and haven't been for many years. It's a hard idea to get out of most peoples minds, tho'. Interestingly, Mexico still uses a lot of the the bad stuff we banned from use years ago, and still has quail. Kinda makes you step back and question the old belief that "chemicals" contributed to the demise of bobs.

I am still very interested in research ongoing, that what happened to quail across the South, and is happening in parts of Texas and Oklahoma according to articles I read, is something completely undreamed of a few years ago ......... a parasite.

Amarillo Mike, I've been "iced in" for about three days with no electricity and had to catch up on this thread tonight. Good reading. I'm with Chuck and Gary on the gun, try the little gun. Guarantee you it will reduce the overall number you put in the game pouch, which in a roundabout way may just bring about the desired result, which is taking less birds inadvertently out of a covey. No. 8s and tight chokes out of a .410. I can't remember ever taking two at one shot with mine, but will admit to not killing as many overall in a season as ya'll today. But we sure did in the old days.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If your intent is to not reduce the coveys during this cycle, why load poppers. Mount one of the Go Pro cameras on the gun and video tape the popper load going off. Might prove instructive and something interesting to pursue while the coveys are small.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guarantee you'll take less game with a 410 and will be rewarded greater for the fewer birds you put in your bag.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/15/14 01:03 AM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, take me and if you can learn by example, I will show you how to not only not to take two with one shot, but as a bonus, how to not take one with many shots. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

You don't need a new gun or less shot. Just let them rise, then only take the tough shots. This time of year the birds ought to be running and good shots should few and far between anyway. Another way is to knock of earlier in the day. The birds don't start bunching up again until close to sun down when they are covying up to bed down. Instead of breaking up covies, I always used the end of the day to retrace my steps to where I think I might have wounded a bird that is unlikely to last the night. A wounded bird will start calling for help toward the end of the day.

jcn Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

A most enjoyable thread. Here in the Rolling Plains we try and protect any covey we happen to find. We have noticed more birds this year than in the past several years. We seem to think moisture at the right time of the year is the crucial element.

tks,
jcn

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.