May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, eightbore, Ian Forrester), 543 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,547
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#356804 02/07/14 11:49 PM
RHD45 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone here have any experience with the Terrco K Star duplicator? I have a chance to buy one and wonder how well it works for inletting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. Terrible.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike and I just had this conversation in January. If you can stabilize the machine from vibration of the motors...yes you can get some fair inletting. If you can't get a stable(that is read...heavy and well braced) foundation you will have poor inletting. I have run three different manufacturers of inletting machines and they all have a large learning curve to them to make decent gunstocks from.

Last edited by DES/TSD; 02/08/14 02:45 AM.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a heavily modified Gemini duplicator now. I had a KStar which was a early model. Vibration was a killer on it and I never got it to produce anything better than what I would call a 90% semi inlet stock. My first machine was well worn but worked reasonably well. It was all in the operator past a point. With a light touch and taking all the time in the world you will get a better and better product. Translation a long learning curve.

Another thing is the quality of the pattern which is very under rated. Making a good pattern takes a lot of time. For a good job I fill in every little defect and ripple in the in-letting. Otherwise you either duplicate the blemishes or under cut the in-letting so much that it take too much time to fit the gun. Why duplicate a stock and leave yourself an extra ten hours of work.

It is to the point that I do not use my duplicator very much anymore and I need the shop space more than in house duplication. If you run multiple copies of one or two stocks it comes in handy and I have been thinking about just running five or ten blanks of two or three basic stocks for later use and then selling the machine. Figure on doing four or five blanks before you figure out what you are doing and use culls to learn with. Culls are reject blanks. Better to ruin a 5-10.00 cull than a 50.00 decent blank.

Cost to use is something that you need to think about. You can get a stock duplicated for a few hundred dollars. You can pay someone else to duplicate your blanks or invest in your own machine. Unless you figure on doing several dozen stocks, it, the investment, may not be worth it. So if you just do two or three stocks a year you are wasting your money. If you want to do ten or more perhaps it makes sense. On the other hand ten stocks would take me about three to four hours each. Perhaps more with pattern making. And time is in short supply these days. I rather spend that time in-letting a stock than duplicating one.

If you run the same pattern multiple times you get much better at it and you get faster. Say you wanted to only cut AH Fox patterns you can learn the task well. But switch to a LC Smith and you have another steep learning curve. Then do a Ithaca and you are back to square one. Point is figure out what you are going to be duplicating and see if it makes sense. If I only collected one or two models I would just make a good pattern for each and pay someone else to duplicate them when needed. In the end that is what I am going to be doing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you KY Jon. Well said. It is a dedicated skill. I too came to your conclusion.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
RHD45 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the advice.This is older machine and he has never used it so that must say something.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.