March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, if you are a millionaire please disregard my last post.
Thanks,
Dale

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Dale. I doubt if the fellas at METL got one of these machines at Home Depot http://metl.com/services/sem/
but hope to negotiate an "in the interest of science and no lawyers are involved" discount smile There is no fee schedule on the website.

Just think what we could have done with the cut-off ends of all those Damascus barrels over the years frown

Sidelock
Sidelock

Burrard, Volume III, The Modern Shotgun

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/02/14 02:43 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

By the very nature of the manufacturing process, pattern welded barrels can not be NDE tested with definitive results by any NDE process.
To attempt a Metallurgical examination is. waste of time in my opinion and for what end? The first thing that comes to mind with a re-load is of course an error in reloading. But we are talking about a 100+ year old barrel of to me of a dubious manufacturing process.
Put all these factors together and it's a recipe for disaster.
As to credentials, my degrees may be in Nuclear Engineering but I spent my Graduate years studying Metallurgy. I have investigated as Team Leader a number of Metallurgical Failures in the Nuclear Industry.
-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dick_dup1
The first thing that comes to mind with a re-load is of course an error in reloading. But we are talking about a 100+ year old barrel of to me of a dubious manufacturing process.
Put all these factors together and it's a recipe for disaster.

Can we assume that the "dubious manufacturing process" of Damascus barrel making might have gained some credibility after over 100 years of use... especially considering that so many of these guns continued to be used long after the low pressure ammunition they were designed to digest was no longer generally available? And don't these barrels continue to this day to withstand nitro-proof tests in nations which still require proof testing? That ought to count for something, especially considering that even modern steels can still be rolled with inclusions which could compromise their integrity. It would be very interesting to see accumulated data from the European Proof Houses to gain an understanding of what guns fail, and why. I'll agree that an error in reloading was the most likely culprit that blew up this Remington.

Going back through this thread, I noticed that the 12 ga. A.J. Aubrey pictured on page 2, that likely blew up due to a 20 ga. shell being stuck in the forcing cone, has very similar oxidation and bare metal along the fracture as the Remington. I still believe that is just fresh bare metal which quickly oxidized after the blow-ups.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In a previous job of 12 yrs.of work, I was a machinist. You would not believe the inclusions in metal I would uncover while milling or turning. It was not an everyday occurrence, but often enough.

RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, If you look in your files you have a photo of my Baker with a blown damascus barrel that had an identical rupture as shown in Mikes gun. By coincidence, my brother replaced the stock this fall on the gun at issue and the guy who sold Mike the stock has in his possession my blown Baker barrel. The three of us looked at Mikes gun when my brother had it and thought it a well preserved gun. 26" factory barrels with F/F chokes intact. No honing apparent. Action was a small frame Remington. Like Mikes incident, we used a light reload [ 8,500 psi, Clays pwdr. 7/8 once shot ] with STS hulls. Might post the Baker photo to show similarities of the damage. Mikes shooting team are veteran vintage sxs shooters and consistent Vintage Cup winners. Thankfully one was a DR. All careful with loads and shooting protocol. Blessed that the injury was not more severe. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Randy's brother's barrel. The forward edge of the burst measured .090" and the breech edge was .112". More pics here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17546456

The shell with imprint of the extractor

Modern fluid steel chamber blow-out

Shell remains

And Gracias a Dios I've got a Smith barrel on the way for evaluation also!! Please look in the back of your safes - gotta be a blown up JABC Twist barrel to donate to science smile

In addition to the blow-up analysis, my real hope is to find a non-destructive method to evaluate barrel integrity.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I vaguely recall we had a member here who blew up his barrel, maybe three or so years ago. It was a reload and when he felt better, he checked his reloading bench and found that he had used the wrong powder which he had left on his bench (last time he did that)or he had mixed powders somehow. Someone may recall better or be able to find the old thread.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

PROGRESS! smile

I've been in contact with Adam W. Haskins, a Metallurgist at METL and will be meeting this week to talk through 1. what I hope to accomplish, 2. what test would be best, and 3. how much this will all cost frown

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.