April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (canvasback, ClapperZapper, Hammergun, Argo44, 2 invisible), 389 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mossberg actually made miniature trap throwers to handle the tiny clay birds used in the downsized trap shoots. They had one that actually attached to the barrel of your gun, so you could launch your clay bird, and then shoot it too!
I owned a couple of the old Mossberg trap throwers, and tried one on the barrel, but it really jerked the barrel when you launched; requiring you to reacquire the target again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did not Orvis make some sort of thrower to toss Ritz crackers or something like that? Designed for "patio trapshooting" or some such.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

1/8 " tool steel stock makes a nice solid rib for a 22 bbl I have done 2 of these on 22 shot barrels. You do need a milling machine and some basic machine skills. It will take a little time as you will need some fixturing. Think twice and do it once.

There are some throwers on line that you can throw ritz crackers with those and or butterflys make demanding targets. Mind your downrange stuff to keep out of trouble.
Good fortune with your project.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While we're on the subject, I believe that the "Routledge" (sp?) bore for the .22 shotshell was a Remington patent or trademark not used on other smoothbore .22 makes. Not sure how it differed from the others, perhaps some kind of taper bore or "long choke."

I used a Remington 510 smoothbore for finch/sparrow control in a seed processing plant I worked in in the 1950s, but don't remember it being marked "Routledge," so this barrel may have been only used on the more expensive models like the 121 and 241.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If someone here will volunteer to post some pictures, I'll send some photos of the results of this project. The rib ended up not a part of the final piece after all. Instead I made sight bases just wide enough to cover the dovetail cuts in the barrel.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

The (Fred) Routledge designed 22 smooth bore was used by Winchester in their M61.
Mr Routledge designed the mini indoor trap game 'Moskeeto' in the late 30's. He also developed his 'Routledge Bore' design for .22LR Shot cartridges that threw better patterns than a standard single dia .22 smooth bore bbl.

(The following specs from Win Slide Action Rifles VolII by Schwing)
A Routledge Bore is the first 10.5" @ .217d, then the remaining 13.5" of the 24"bbl of the M61 is counter bored to .375".
The claim was an 80% pattern in a 6" circle @ 35ft.
The straight thru smooth bored (.217) bbl was said to throw patterns 3 times larger (and more).

Winchester & Routledge entered into some sort of agreement ($$) around 1939 to produce the M61 .22LR Shot with this Routledge bore in it.
Winchester quickly decided to change to it's own version of the 2 stepped bore dia and could stop paying Fred for the use of his design.
Win factory info shows drawings for their own version in 1940.

The Win version was a .217 smooth bore from the breech extending 16" forward, then expanding to a counter bore dia of .265" (instead of the Routledge .375") for the remaining 8" of the 24" M61 BBl.

M61s with original 'Routledge bore bbls are very rare as production was short lived.

The last version of the M61 .22LR Shot are the straight thru one dia (.217"d) guns. These were made starting around the mid 50's.

There are a few fake Routledges around of course. Counter boring a straight thru bored rifle, or a Winchester counterbored gun to the correct .375d & depth results in a 'Routledge bore'.
The former will be way off in ser#/production. But the latter can be argued as being in the range. Be careful as always.
Check bbl address marking and other features for era of mfg.
No records available AFAIK on these.

Simmons offered the M61 22LR Shot w/a V/R installed.
It's pictured in their 1956 catalog,pg22
.."Model 61 Slide Action Hammerless Repeating Rifle
with New Simmons Deluxe Ventilated Rib
#G6116RSVR / .22Long Rifle Shot (Smooth Bore) / $97.85"

I'm guessing they'd fit one to a customers rifle as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Kutter! Great details! I wonder how the current (?) CCI shotshells with the plastic shot capsule measure up in patterning. Do they, as I've always believed, require RIFLING to break up the capsule, or will it disperse freely in a smoothbore?

Am I wrong in believing that there are Remington .22s with the special Routledge bore as well as Winchesters?

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Mike A.
Thanks, Kutter! Great details! I wonder how the current (?) CCI shotshells with the plastic shot capsule measure up in patterning. Do they, as I've always believed, require RIFLING to break up the capsule, or will it disperse freely in a smoothbore?

Am I wrong in believing that there are Remington .22s with the special Routledge bore as well as Winchesters?

You are correct. Remington made at least 4 variations of the smoothbore on rifles such as the Model 121, one of which used the word "Routledge". Others used "smoothbore" and the term "Moskeeto".

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.