March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dan R), 819 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#353864 01/19/14 07:32 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After locating the Deal gun case featured in another posting when I opened it a long forgotten hunting associated object fell out bringing back some memories of now long past wild fowling days.
Its name is a Hunters Kettle used in the field to provide a hunter with that quintessential of British things a cup of tea or any other drink requiring hot water for that matter. This unbranded Edwardian version is approximately 5 X 2 inches just small enough to fit in your pocket with all its essential parts packed neatly inside its cup, it is manufactured from Electro Plated Nickel Silver so belonging lower down the social ladder. And of course it came from a time when here in Britland the water in rivers and streams was clean and safe enough to drink after boiling. The small box will hold enough Tea and Sugar mix for two cups of hot sweet black tea the Victorians cure for every thing with the water heated using the double wicked spirit burner. Now I have only seen one other of these objects it was manufactured from silver with a rather hefty price tag though it did have a crest engraved on it belonging to some member of the upper classes.
I was wondering are there other items along the same lines out there?

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nifty - and certainly much lighter and more compact than a thermos flask!

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is very slick! I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like the "Hunter's Kettle". However, I've seen others use, myself included, an aluminum coffee pot, about a quart or thereabout in size, stuffed with matches, tea bags, sugar, small containers of ground coffee, etc and stowed away with the other hunting gear.

I guess a more crude Yank version of the Hunters Kettle.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I imagine this WWII Army stove is about as close as you'll get here in the US

I used to have one, but for backpacking it was heavy and easy to tip over. For car camping, where weight didn't matter, there were far better stoves available. I finally sold it to a collector.
Steve
PS I like the Brit version better!

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/19/14 11:11 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clever devices are a gas. I have not seen this particular system before, glad I looked!

I got a Kelly Kettle, a veritable portable blast furnace that can boil a liter and half of water in one minute, and it will singe your eyebrows if you stand over it. Efficient, but lacks the charm of portability and that sense of self reliance of this one. And you got to love those turned pillars!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The smallest I've seen used was a soda can alcohol stove. Held 8 oz liquid.
I use a Jetboil pretty regularly, no panache, but it has saved my life a couple times. They work at altitude. Boils 1qt in about 2 min from snow.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or you can do like we did in 'Nam- use an empty C rats can and ablue heat tab to boil up water for whatever- Not quite "Downtown Abbie" grade, and of course, not a pound of sterling, but what da hey!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

For those that must have traditional British sporting goods-- The Pre-war JetBoil. I can imagine it in sheep camp.

Really cool.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

They made similar devises that were designed to fit the frame of a Raleigh (or, Rudge, or, whatever) traditional English three speed bicycle.
I have seen a few of them on the Lake Pepin three speed tour. Folks still use 'em.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice kit to look at, recalls bygone days I guess. But I'll take my old Thermos bottle, thanks. I can have a cup of hot coffee and be back to killing ducks while you're getting that thing assembled.

When I go hunting I go to hunt, not cook tea.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.