March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ken Nelson, KY Jon, Jtplumb, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 819 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,027
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lutefisk is usually made from cod fish soaked in water, then in mixture of water and lye and then water again, to reduce the caustiscity from the lye soak.

My grandmother used to make lutefisk every year for the holidays. I grew up eating it and actually liked it smothered in melted butter.

As the joke goes-What's the difference between lutefisk and boogers? Kids will actually eat boogers!

Growing up in this area (N ID), the hunting tradition has always been mainly big game and waterfowl, consequently most of the firearms one would find in shops were rifles, pumps or semi-autos. I believe that the situation has gotten better, however, doubles are still probably more scarce than what one would find elsewhere. The ones that do show up, particularly from private sales can often times, be good deals.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote from Garrison Keillor's book Pontoon:

Lutefisk is cod that has been dried in a lye solution. It looks like the desiccated cadavers of squirrels run over by trucks, but after it is soaked and reconstituted and the lye is washed out and it's cooked, it looks more fish-related, though with lutefisk, the window of success is small. It can be tasty, but the statistics aren't on your side. It is the hereditary delicacy of Swedes and Norwegians who serve it around the holidays, in memory of their ancestors, who ate it because they were poor. Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people. It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world's largest chunk of phlegm

When I lived in the Midwest I knew people of Scandinavian origin who used to eat his stuff and some how managed to survive! eek
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxy--you don't want to know what lutefisk is much less taste it. The Scandies in my area eat it with much gusto. sick

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Matthew Quigley
Sidelock
Sidelock

More info:

And for those of you that are more than "just curious" follow the link below don't forget to click on the DINNERS LINK for one near you.

Lutfisk Lovers Lifeline

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Matthew Quigley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Foxy--you don't want to know what lutefisk is much less taste it. The Scandies in my area eat it with much gusto. sick
Happy Holidays, amigo-- Hey, the Scots have their Haggis, the Swedes have lukefisk, the Frenchies their escargot and frog's legs--I'll pass, thanks-- Bratwurst smothered in sauerkraut, twice baked potatoes and some nice cold Warsteiner "mit Die schoenerblum, Ja!!" Gut essen fur misch!!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frog Legs are only behind Alligator Tail & Rattlesnake for being some of the best eating you ever put in your mouth. Of course a good bait of properly "Hand Slung" & fried Chittlins Ain't a fur piece behind.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Boxlock
Boxlock

As a kid in the '50s, I would go to my Grandfathers house and he had a Fox Sterlingworth in his house. I would always want to look at and hold it. I thought that it was a piece of art it was so good looking. He always told me that he could not hit anything that was flying and that he only had killed 1 pheasant with it. But he kept his family fed through the depression with rabbits and squirrels. When I was old enough, I bought a Savage Fox -Model B for $100.00. My Grandfather eventually gave me his old Sterlingworth - which I still have and cherish. I also have my Savage Fox. Good memories!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

My dad gave me his Fox 16 gauge in 1944, when I was 12 years old so that I could accompany him duck and goose hunting in our blind in the entrance to Powell's Creek on the Potomac River. I remember we shot only Kleanbore shotshells, because those were the only ones we could find at the time (during WWII), generally at the Quantico Marine Base PX. He shot his old Winchester 1912 duck gun for everything. I was a small kid, and that Win 1912 with its long duck barrel, I couldn't shoot, so he gave me his old Fox. I loved that gun and could shoot anything from turkeys on down with it.

Jim Haynes
Boxlock
Boxlock

I came to SxS's later than many on this site. When I was 5 Dad bought us boys a Model 12 20 guage and it was pumps and autos since. About 7 or 8 years ago while in my late 40's I stopped in at a gun auction viewing. As luck would have it there was a cased H.E. Akrill marked round action sidelock on a table. I knew nothing about SxS's, but I picked it up, threw it up to my shoulder, and heard her SING. I don't know how else to say it, but most on this board probably know what I mean. It fit me perfectly and I had never felt such balance. A close look at the fine rose and scroll engraving impressed with the detail. Researching the Akrill name and the patent stamps and talking to H.E.'s descendant showed it was made by William Baker in Birmingham between 1907-1909.
That was several dozen SxS's ago. A fairly expensive day, but I don't regret it.

Last edited by NorthernBob; 12/24/13 12:48 PM.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.