May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (FlyChamps, SKB, cpa, LGF, Der Ami, 1 invisible), 413 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,433
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
whitt Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about This gun I have. Any info you may have would be appreciated. All I know about this one is whatI have been told be the previous owner!
The model is "three barreled gun" and I was told it was made by Malver Frank Hollinbeck in 1905 in Whelling West Va. I am told these were the only American made drillings ever made?? This one is 12 guage sxs over 30-30. He said the only thing he could ever find out was that This hollinbeck fellow set up his shop "The three barrel Gun Shop" in 1903 and died in 1910. Also was told that he was formerly a gunsmith for Syracuse Arms and principal gunsmith for Baker Gun Co. There is a serial number 8XX found on the barrels, reciever, trigger guard and forearm. Also found stamped on the reciever the patent date of feb, 13 1900. Would love to find out anything on it I could!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whitt, There are two very ggod arcticles in the Double Gun Journal,I think from a year or two ago.I'm sure someone will let you know soon.
Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hollenbeck/Three-Barrel/Royal Gun Companies

Hollenbeck Gun Co. 1901-early 1905
Three-Barrel Gun Co. Late 1905-early 1908
Royal Gun Co. 1909-May 1910

The shot barrels were offered in 12-, 16-, 20-, and 28-gauge (only Hollenbeck Gun Co.), with the rifle barrel at various times in .22 WCF, 25-20 Win., 25-20 SS, 25-25 Stevens, 30 WCF, 32-20 Win., 32 Ideal, and 32-40. It appears to me that 25-25 Stevens and 32-40 were by far the most common calibers.

One often sees guns marked Three-Barrel Gun Company on the barrels with a Hollenbeck Butt Plate, or marked Royal Gun Company on the barrels with a Three-Barrel Gun Company Butt Plate. One also sees quite a few of these guns unmarked in any way except for the serial number and the patent date, which were probably taken by workers in-lieu-of pay. "Patd FEB 13, 1900" which was Frank A. Hollenbecks patent number 643,601 which covered the bolting, and was also used on the Baltimore Arms Company double guns. Frank A. Hollenbeck's Patent # 753,492 granted Mar. 1, 1904 covered the locks and cocking mechanism, though I've never seen this date stamped on one of the guns. All three companies also offered
doubles, and the latter two offered a single barrel trap gun of Lefever design.

My two-part article on these companies was in The Double Gun Journal, Volume Thirteen, Issues 2 and 3. There was an article on a very interesting one of these guns fitted with a Miller single trigger in the Arms Gazette for September 1978, and one in The American Rifleman for June 1964.

These were not the only American drillings. William H. Baker and his partner Lyman C. Smith made three-barrel guns in Lisle and later Syracuse, New York in the late 1870s/early 1880s. Frank Hollenbeck worked for them part of that time.

Last edited by Researcher; 03/11/07 06:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have actually seen a three bbl LC Smith ( marked on bbl) with broken stock. An old lady brought to a gunshop I nearly lived in about 40 years ago. Seems it had belonged to her departed husband. She couldn/t or wouldn't pat for a restocking and wouldn't sell it. The gun gathered dust for onver a year while she tried to decide what to do with it. One day I walked into the back room / work area with a hand full of cash looking for the piece. I was going to get her name and number & offer her a tidy sum but it and the claim check/work order were gone. Never could find that woman. Aaaah well. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
whitt Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the info!

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is one in a gunshop about 8 miles from me. Thats the first one i have ever seen. About 3-4 months ago there was one in the paper,called the guy he did not know what it was worth; he was taking offers. He was from Huston Pa.

Kirkwood of Boston and Dan Lefever also made 3 barrel guns.
Granite

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whitt,
Could you provide some additional information please. Steel or Damascus shotgun barrels, length? Configuration of the stock, engranving pattern, etc. We should also be able to tell you what grade your drilling is as well. I have some of the original catalogs and other material. What is the serial number? Thanks

Dogs On Point!!! - doublenut

whitt Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Mine has steel barrels. they are 28" long though I am not sure what they are choked. You can actually see pics on gunbroker.com as I have it listed there now!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Granite, David Kirkwood made a great deal about his "drillings", featuring them as the first items in his catalog. They were also quite expensive, and entirely handmade. He made them in hammer as well as hammerless. They were also offered with rifle choked "paradox" bores. It seems that not enough attention is paid to this innovative American gunmaker.
All the best, Mal

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.