April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Roundsworth, SKB, Jerry G, battle, J.B.Patton, 1 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,434
Posts544,720
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It has taken some forty five years to bring to an end a personal story and search that where both started in the 1960s.
First the story in short when I was in my early twenties I had all my lifes luck in one large helping you could say. It all began at a local Cheshire shooting club sale one Sunday morning when a dealer opened the boot (trunk) of his car and at the back in the half dark was a Purdey wood bar shotgun, in the most appalling condition which I fell for immediately well it was a Purdey after all. I borrowed the money to purchase the gun which then gave me further years of saving to restore it to the usable condition it is in today.
The search was caused by the dealer I purchased the gun from because he removed the gun from its original Oak and leather case so he could make some extra cash by selling the case separately. Now at the time I could only raise enough cash to purchase the gun only so the case disappeared never to be seen again. The guns case may have disappeared but the picture it left in my mind has never changed or the want for the gun to have case from its own historical time period, its original case was black leather rather than the usual brown versions we see with a Burgundy lining.
Now a month ago I was looking through one of the internet auction sites there jumping out from the screen was an exact version of that case that I committed to memory all those years ago. Identical size and colour but with a different makers label though from the same time period as the gun, though its condition varied from dreadful to wrecked with missing straps and handle its lock worked when it felt like and one of the previous owners had painted two roundels I suppose for identification at a distance on the top. Just like the gun all those years ago I purchased it and in the end the price was not what I would call reasonable either in fact I will say at my age I really should have known better!!!!!!!!!

After the brutal removing of the roundels and paint splashes using a solvent and abrasive then it was the restoration of the extremely dried out Aniline leather which mainly consisted of half a day in a Neats-foot oil and steam bath. Next was re-dyeing leather where the roundels had been removed then what seemed like vast amounts of Lanolin and neats-foot oil mixture (also good for your hands) vigorously rubbed in to improve the leathers overall condition. To complete the leather work I made four replacement case strap retainers because their leather had become far too brittle to be re-used plus making two new straps each fitted with a vintage buckle. Finally a well proportioned vintage leather handle that I purchased from another auction site though not in as good condition as the photographs led me to believe, so after re-stitching and making two new case handle loops to replace the original damaged ones and changing its colour from brown to black and fitting a couple of new brass D rings.

The Brass case fittings where all present though black and showing every bit their hundred plus years of life, so I made the conscious decision to clean them only to the point that you can see they are brass but not removing the dents and marks. The one thing I was not prepared to do was clean all sixty four half inch screws from the corner fittings and strap retainers I purchased new replacements.

That is the end of my efforts on the outside of the case the next instalment will be re- lining the inside.

So far so good!!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely wonderful!
You, Sir, have done a wonderful thing and I applaud your excellent work. The results are simply amazing, and as an owner of older side by sides, I can share somewhat in your feelings of richly deserved pride.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus,

Great story and a wonderful job restoring the case. It looks just great. Nothing better than putting a vintage gun in a good looking vintage case. How many hours did it take to fully restore? Is the gun you will put in this case the gun you loaned out for the movie, "The Shooting Party"?

Shortround

Sidelock
Sidelock

very nice work,

are you going to need to do a refit along with the recovering on the inside? Or did you luck into a drop in fit?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done.
Bravo

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful, great story to go with. I have a wood and leather Browning case from 32 and the A5 16 that came with it. About time I get the case restored. Won't match your Purdy and case, but will be something for me to pass on to either son or daughter. Thanks for getting me to do something with the case, A5 is great shape.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful, great story to go with. I have a wood and leather Browning case from 32 and the A5 16 that came with it. About time I get the case restored. Won't match your Purdy and case, but will be something for me to pass on to either son or daughter. Thanks for getting me to do something with the case, A5 is great shape.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry for double post, was interrupted.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done. It's amazing how these things become etched in our memories. Thanks for posting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great job, and a beautiful one at that.

David

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.