May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Researcher, bsteele), 833 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice shot and buck Dave,should be a good eating too !

I tried to get my wife to help drag one and she ran out the door to the neighbors down the road (convinced the neighbors husband to help thou)

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good job Dave....time for some venison chili!!!!!!!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for letting us share your good fortune...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice buck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too Funny, Dave! You run a doublegun page, love big, no, BIG bore double rifles and you get your deer with a bow.
Must have had a double headed broadhead, maybe? Great story.
Def a Great wife & daughter, and great seeing you too ~

..a blast from the past

Sidelock
Sidelock

I married my wife as she was the first girlfriend I ever had who would come partridge hunting with me and carry the dead partridges, (ruffed grouse)
3 years ago I had surgery for a right shoulder rotator cuff injury and my arm was in a sling. I went out to my far meadow and laid back in a mound. I had a willow fork in my right hand to support the forend of my Ruger No1 in 7x57. I called on my deer call and a little buck came out of the willows, and I shot it. I walked back to the farm and got my wife Gail to drive me back to the willow patch in the Jeep and tow ropes. The heart shot buck had wandered a way back into the willows and collapsed.
We just had enough tow ropes to reach the deer and hook onto the antlers and drag it back to the yard under the light. Quite a pantomime gutting out that deer with only one arm. Gail held the legs while I did the cutting and gutting and helped pull out the clockwork. So Gail is surely a keeper. Pretty good missus all round, taking a sip of her 2 year old crabapple wine, superb, and about to book flights to Vancouver to see the kids and grandkids for Christmas, life's not too bad at 70,
Mikey

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike...I empathize on the shoulder. I was not sure I'd be bow hunting this year. In fact I missed the Vintage Cup due to a chronic shoulder & neck issue I have. I believe that was my wife's motivation to help out. I've had a couple cortisone shots and a bunch of physical therapy. In fact another appointment in the morning. The bow works fine unless both neck and shoulder go south at the same time. Then I literally can't move much.

In any even my brilliant son Maxx and I were having a heart to heart about me not bow hunting this year...He tells my I only have to manage to shoot once. Apparently so...;-) I have been fortunate and hope my shoulder holds up several more seasons. I like bow hunting...it's quiet, warmer and the animals are relaxed. I don't shoot bad either.

As for Bob Rowley busting my stones...Gun season opens Saturday. It's the first time ever we get to use rifles in upstate NY. I typically hunt with a fully rifled Ithaca DeerSlayer shotgun with a low mag scope and sabot slugs...at least I have for the last 5 or 6 years since the sights on my SxS Bernardelli slug gun went blurry on me.

This year I spent the summer developing a load for my 9.3x74R
Merkel 140 1.1 Double rifle. I settled on 59.5gr of Reloader 15 in Norma cases with WLR primers and a 250 grain Nolser Ballistic Tip (I bought a bunch on close out).

Both that and my Krieghoff Plus Drilling will be called into service for the balance of Deer blasting season in NY...Both wear low mag scopes...Leupold 1.5-5 VX-III's...The Drilling uses the same load as the DR but can reach out to 300+ yards...It also has an illuminated reticle scope (perfect for late high stand hunting).

So yes...the double gun guy will be doubling up on the balance of the season.

I will note that my freezer is full a bow "eating doe" a few weeks back and the buck above...If I shoot another it's gotta be bigger and I can say with some certainty my wife won't be so kind about me monopolizing das freezer!

Thank you all for your participation and your kind words.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

...250 grain Nolser Ballistic Tip, eh ~
Well, be sure to post a pic or two of how that Merkel Double Rifle Pumpkin thrower did... and make sure you post one of your wife & daughter pointing the direction as You drag this time ! Hope you get a Big one !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.