March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AZMike, jcn, battle, Jim H., Lloyd3, Gerry Addison), 831 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the American Rifleman magazine's tests of the Winchester Model 21?

The magazine tells me that their archives do not go that far back. So there is no joy there.

Is there any other place that can offer scanned copies of the tests?

Apparently these were the second batch of tests of the Model 21. The first had been done by Winchester in the 1930s. The American Rifleman tests were like a replay and somewhat more "scientific".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the Rifleman from 1945 forward if you can provide a date
of issue in the mag.
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The most reliable date I have seen is in the October 1963 issue. Would really appreciate seeing that article.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We know from experience, not testing, that the forearm and lower rib get ripped off of Winchester Model 21's with beavertail type forearms. That seems to be the only weak link in the Winchester Model 21. Shooters that hold on tight to the beavertail forearms of Win Mdl 21's take up a great deal of the recoil by way of the forearm and that force is taken by the forearm lug which is part of the lower rib. After a few thousand shots fired the lower rib gets loose. The first clue that the shooter has that something is wrong is when the forend begins to rattle. Most all of our SXS's have a weakness somewhere or other, the lower rib lug is the Win Mdl 21's weakness. Good Shooting To You, Jent

Sidelock
Sidelock

Heh heh, yup, it's a bad gun with a lot of bugs. Why would anyone want to know about the flawed AR tests that suggest that this gun is a piece of crap. Oh, the AR tests didn't suggest that? The "forend lug" is a fairly weak point on a Model 21, but the lousy gun doesn't have any other weaknesses that any of us would notice. My friend, Jent Mitchell, mentions a possible weak point, but many Model 21s are shot thousands of times with out the forend lug problem that he mentions. OK, I'll look up the tests and forward them to someone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anything mechanical can, and will, eventually break....a shotgun has not been made that is indestructible, and some are weaker in areas than others. An old time gunsmith once told me a Parker with double triggers and extractors would give tremendous service as they were tough, and to avoid any with single triggers and ejectors. He also rated the 21 as one of the best double guns with single triggers and ejectors. When I pressed him as to what he considered the best shotgun ever made, he simply replied; "A Remington 870, I'd hate to have to make a living repairing them."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Capt. Chas. Askins devoted about a page and a half to the Winchester Model 21 in the July 1930 issue of The American Rifleman. Mostly a regurgitation of the failing company's announcement of the gun, including lies about how light it was!! I searched through the remaining issues of 1930, 1931 and 1932 and didn't find a review of the Model 21. The American Rifleman for 1932 did have reviews of the Browning Superposed which the good Captain really took to in January, the Remington Model 32 in May by F.C. Ness, and Magnum Shotguns discussing the Ithaca Magnum-Ten NID in July again by Capt. Askins. I also checked the index for 1933 and nothing Model 21 was listed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Magazine...98#ht_303wt_892

For about $6, it gets bought and sent to your house grin

Last edited by skeettx; 11/10/13 09:51 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

If Winchester, and other American double gun manufacturers had picked up on the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. method of doing a forearm loop, we wouldn't have so many problems today!!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I handled a model 21 for the first time a few weeks ago. After a lifetime of familiarity with English and European "best" it was a surprise.

It was a plain blued 21 built in the 30s, with a semi beavertail forend and it was solid, and I mean solid. The mechanical quality was a revelation.

THe loop problem is easily fixed by making a new loop with more surface area for the solder, something easy to do fif the gunsmith is not a prima donna. The Stevens loop is interesting but the same surface area can be had in a bottom loop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.