April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (SKB, Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, 3 invisible), 417 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Ruger 28 which is nice but recently shooting quail and phes on a preserve the bottom trigger is denting the primer but not firing. Any ideas on why, possiblt a weak firing pin. If this is the problem, can it be fixed by most gun smiths or do I need to reurn it to Ruger

Sidelock
Sidelock

The cosmetic changes, I assume meant to be racy and svelte, just don't make it at all. They should have just stuck with the stodgy "business-like" design. It matched the overall aesthetic of the gun.

If they wanted to change anything they should have brought back the red pad.

A 12 gauge Red Label was my first double. Although it was somewhat clubby, I liked it well enough and learned what I could with it. Back then (1990) I thought the fact that Tim Leary used a RL 20 ga was a fine endorsement. But I tired of it after I got my first s x s double, a Leonard-made Jeffery.

That doesn't change the fact that I wish I still had it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: murphy
I have a Ruger 28 which is nice but recently shooting quail and phes on a preserve the bottom trigger is denting the primer but not firing. Any ideas on why, possiblt a weak firing pin. If this is the problem, can it be fixed by most gun smiths or do I need to reurn it to Ruger

Call Ruger at 603-865-2442 . They will almost certainly tell you that they need to look at it to determine the problem, and ask you to send it in. Do so. In a few weeks to a month, your gun will be returned with the problem fixed, and most likely a few other parts replaced, too. At no cost, other than shipping it out.

That was how they handled the return of my RRL 28, anyway. The gun was out for about 3 weeks.

Back on topic: When I first heard that the RRL was coming back, I gave strong consideration to buying one. I don't really "need" a 12 ga O/U hunting gun, but the idea of supporting an American-made double gun appeals to me. When I found out that it will be close to 8 lbs, I changed my mind. If Ruger would make this gun at about 7 lbs, (or ideally even a bit lighter!) I would be a player, but 8 lbs. is simply too heavy for a hunting gun, IMHO, and as mentioned in a previous post, they just aren't designed to stand up to heavy use as a target gun.

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
Sidelock

If they bring back the All-Weather with the matte gray finish at $1K, I think I'm in for ducks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

murphy: your firing problem could in fact be ammo related; particularly if you are shooting cheap Winchester brand loads, which often exhibit deeper than usual primers.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacement,

I had one of the All-Weather guns with the stainless matte gray barrels…to me they absolutely disappeared on an overcast gray day. I don't think I am a "barrel watcher" but I found it very difficult to shoot on those kind of days. YMMV.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I had one of the All-Weather guns with the stainless matte gray barrels…to me they absolutely disappeared on an overcast gray day.

I suppose I could spray the top of the rib flat black? Sprayed the knurled extended stainless chokes on another hunting gun (flat black lacquer) and it has held up for about ten years so far. I'm thinking about the All-Weather RRL because my old Citori has a fresh refinish on the wood and looks too good for ducks now. That and the fact that it doesn't seem to like salt water and sand as much as it used to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm at a loss. If they can make the 12 gauge Gold Label at 6 1/2 lbs., why can't they do the same with the Red Label? At 8 lbs, sorry I'm not interested. confused

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.