April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (graybeardtmm3, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, Ken Nelson, Tom Shaffer, Marks_21), 1,014 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#341933 10/18/13 09:22 AM
SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Don't have a schmatic. Is it just an access panel or does it provide a specific function? Such as a bearing surface for springs or other parts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good morning.

The answer is most definitely functional. See below link.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Ansleyone/A%2520H%2520Fox%2520Gun%2520Co/Fox-KautzkySST1914insertflyerinside_zpsbba84ae5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://foxcollectors.com/My%2520Forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D2%26t%3D4752&usg=__Np0tTo2HXXoQ-O_8Qm_pdncnJqE=&h=518&w=800&sz=75&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=bRdEd1rj-YqLCM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=143&ei=GjlhUs-qCtSp4APItICACQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DKautzky%2Bfox%26um%3D1%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*%26rlz%3D1I7AURU_enUS498%26hl%3Den%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CC4QrQMwAQ

Sidelock
Sidelock

the floor plate on a Fox is also the trigger plate and supports a small spring that is part of the top lever operation.

SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Am considering looking at one with a "minor ding" in the floor plate. It would seem this could easily be straightened with removal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A ding in my mind is not something that would need straightening. Furthermore, the floor plate is quite thick. So, what is it that you mean by ding and what portion would need straightening? Do you think that it needs disassembly for inspection of this ding to verify that it does not displace internal parts or affect function? I'd chalk it up to the cosmetic deficiency column and not worry about repairing.

Shoot straight,

Bird

Sidelock
Sidelock

The inside surface is flat straight accross. The only cut out areas are two very shallow scalloped out areas from just behind the plate screw hole to the rear edge. These are perhaps only .015" deep (just my guess) and give some clearance to the sears .

The plate is dome shaped on the outer surface of course.
It's perhaps .175"+ thick at the center and around .100"+ at the edges where it sits on a supporting ledge in the frame cut.

All this can vary, especially on a gun that's been refinished.
But generally speaking it takes quite a wack to inwardly dent the trigger plate.
In the wrong spot it could effect the sears. Maybe the hammers,,but that would one bad ass dent.

The frame at dead center and right in front of the trigger plate on the bottom is often dented inward.
The frame is very thin right there for about a 1/2" length alongth the trigger plate edge.
The dented frame comes often from the use of a hammer in the re-installation of the Fox guns hammer & mainsprings. A few hits and a few misses and that fragile spot on the frame dents inward easily. Plus the 'hammer the hammer' method won't get you anywhere in the installation process.

The trigger plate does a lot of stuff including pulling the frame assembly tight to the stock when the tang screws are tightened.
That slanted surface on the front of the boss that the triggers pivot on is what does that trick as it is forced against an opposing face in the butt stock.
Without it, you'd be depending on the tang screws to hold the frame tight to the wood,,,,like in an Ithaca Flues.

SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I just wanted to know possible repercussions, dependent upon extent of "ding".

SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Note to Kutter: You were correct, frame dented ahead of floor plate, 2 distinct hammer hits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also suspect Kutter is right. Here's some information for future reference:
A few years ago I was having a hard time reinstalling the floor plate on my Fox. It just wouldn't go back in and I'm NOT of the "give it a whack with the hammer school". So I asked here for some advice.
What I was advised to do was to put the floor plate in the freezer over night and then give it a try. This worked like a charm.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 10/24/13 01:32 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can try and lift the dents out from the bottom with the floor plate removed.

Leveraging the metal upwards using a suitable flat tool against other interior areas of the frame.
But, be aware that the frame was case hardened to begin with. The metal may crack in moving it back into place,,may be micro cracked already,,just the nature of the surface hardened stuff.

I'd suggest lightly annealing the dent with the tiny torch tip like an 0 or even 00. Just turn it blue to kill the hardness.
Case colors or lack of them can be easily touched up afterwards.

It's difficult to get it back the metal into place smoothly doing it this way if it's more than an edge dimple.

A better way is to replace the floor plate w/the screws tightened down.
Then place the frame bottom side down on a smooth steel surface w/a piece of thin cardboard between them to protect it,,a business card works well.

Now from the top of the frame through the bbl lug cut out you can access the dent and tap it down. You'll be doing so at a slight angle, so make up a punch to account for that. Brass works well. The hard smooth surface beneath it allows you to tap the frame dent out and nicely even with the undamaged floorplate.

All that said,,the dent usually doesn't bother anything but the looks.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.