April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, Marks_21, Argo44, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 1,166 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will answer your question if you can answer mine . How long is a piece of string ?

Point is I think , that the question can not be answered other than theoretically as we are dealing with many unknowns as well as a piece of natural material with no control over conditions of use or treatment . Some stocks seem to last the life of the gun others don't and I have no doubt that some due to the design and fitting are more prone to break than others . May be you should have asked "which stock heads are most prone to breaking "?

Sidelock
Sidelock

How long is a piece of string ?

No longer than it can be measured.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another boxlock I can't recall seeing a panel crack is the later years of ther Fulton series. Like the Huglu the panels are wedged into the receiver but not as far.

Last edited by 2holer; 10/13/13 01:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

But you can always Sleeve two bits (or more )of string together.
I'd say its like Gunman said,mostly dependent on the individual gun, the sum + fit of the parts that count, which would vary a wee bit with each gun of equal grade from the same maker.
Another answer might be.."Hopefully, mine!"
cheers
franc
I have had a few, & looked at many more Francottes & can't say I remember having seen one with head cracks...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2holer
They haven't been around but about 15 years. The Huglu made stock panels are robustly wedged into the reciever. I have never seen one cracked and maybe never will if the stock bolt is kept snug.

I had one that cracked at the head; it actually split a piece off. I didn't take a picture, so I'll try to describe:

Looking at the gun from the top, barrel pointed away from you - the top, right corner of the head came off. The split was maybe halfway between the edge of the stock and the tang cutout. It split back, about two inches or so. The split went down at an angle, and back to the edge. Sort of a wedge-shaped piece.

The Huglu was a De Haan U5E, which Mark De Haan repaired under warranty. He offered to replace it, but for my own reasons, I chose repair. I've no idea why it split, there were no apparent problems.

I also had a Ruger Red Label 28 ga split in the head, though it stayed in one piece. Ruger replaced the stock at no charge. In this case, I think it may have been a slightly loose through-bolt that was responsible. The crack started at the right/rear of the upper tang and travels towards the trigger.

Here's a pic of the cracked RRL stock:

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
Sidelock

The distinguishing feature of the Savage built Fox-Sterlingworths with the "drawbolt" is the wide top tang with big screw head and kind of a notch in the profiling on the sides of the receiver just below the watertable --

To date, all the observed "drawbolt" Fox-Sterlingworths have been 12-gauges. The first batch is a bunch in the 133xxx serial number range, to date all observed with 30 inch barrels. Then another bunch in the upper 143xxx range with both 28- and 30-inch barrels, and finally a batch right at the end including the one shown, in the 1615xx range with 26-inch barrels. While most of the "Drawbolts" observed are double trigger plain extractor, a few have been observed with ejectors and one with both ejectors and a Fox-Kautzky single selective trigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for that information Researcher.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2holer
They haven't been around but about 15 years. The Huglu made stock panels are robustly wedged into the reciever. I have never seen one cracked and maybe never will if the stock bolt is kept snug.

Quote:
I had one that cracked at the head; it actually split a piece off. I didn't take a picture, so I'll try to describe:

Looking at the gun from the top, barrel pointed away from you - the top, right corner of the head came off. The split was maybe halfway between the edge of the stock and the tang cutout. It split back, about two inches or so. The split went down at an angle, and back to the edge. Sort of a wedge-shaped piece."

Sounds like tha classic case of the wood not being mated well with the receiver and more recoil force was on the upper part or the stock bolt got a little loose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we're back to the Model 21 with those thick tenons that go into the receiver. We still have to keep the tang screws tight, though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure about the best but the worst and most consistently bad is the Ithaca SKB. I think to a large degree due to the scalloped receiver.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.