March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was wondering if folks had any observations to share about which boxlocks never split at the stock head...and why some designs might stand the tests of time and recoil better than others.

Stated differently, assuming the wood selected for the butt is appropriately grained, are there any designs that split out more frequently?

TIA, Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any gun with a through bolt is much less apt to split than stocks attached to the action in the traditional method due to the increase bearing surface afforded by the through bolt design. Savage made some Fox Sterlingworth guns with a through bolt in the last few years of production but they are not very common.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Least likely - Model 21

More examples here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/15127852

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a very interesting link. Some amazing 'reconstructive surgery' there..
Thanks for posting it Drew.
Back to the original post, I'd guess any Boxlock with oil damage at the head could potentially split or crack. Another good reason to use oil sparingly and store guns muzzle down. I'm still surprised by the number of people who will spray WD 40 (a water displacing rust preventer and lubricant) on their guns, give them a quick wipe and put them in the cabinet muzzle up.
The upside is it'll keep stockers in business for years to come, very probably barrel blackers and browners too.

Last edited by El Garro; 10/12/13 01:12 PM.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a far better method to seal the head properly and then lube the moving parts as they should be. Muzzle down is simply good practice for storage but is no substitute for a properly sealed stock and/or lubed mechanism.

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

The same guns that have ribs that never lift and never double, the ones that ain't been built.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe amongst the strongest are boxlocks built with action rebates that the wood slips into. I'm thinking mostly of Webley & Scott 700's. the head of the stock is really held tight using the rebated action on each side of the top tang. Needless to say, any stock that has visible gaps at the head is a candidate for becoming kindling. I agree stocks with a through bolt are potentially the strongest but usually at the expense of a much thicker wrist.

Webley 700

Last edited by Joe Wood; 10/12/13 06:23 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

have yet to see a browning bss with a cracked stock head. same goes for the russian baikal guns. most likely because these guns are relatively new and are designed for modern 3" mag ammo...

old stock heads usually crack, because the screws holding the wood to the metal are not torqued correctly...and because some idiot shot the hell out of the gun with modern heavy magnum loads.

Last edited by ed good; 10/12/13 04:18 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CJF
I was wondering if folks had any observations to share about which boxlocks never split at the stock head...and why some designs might stand the tests of time and recoil better than others.

Stated differently, assuming the wood selected for the butt is appropriately grained, are there any designs that split out more frequently?

TIA, Chris

Vintage LC Smith field grade doubles are worst offenders and foreign made guns with scaloped frames (French and Germans loved that feature). Not sure which ones are least prone to cracks but I would pick IZH clunker for that title.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrel
Any gun with a through bolt is much less apt to split than stocks attached to the action in the traditional method due to the increase bearing surface afforded by the through bolt design. Savage made some Fox Sterlingworth guns with a through bolt in the last few years of production but they are not very common.

LGS has Savage Sterlingworth in top shape with late style wood mid bead and 30" barrels. How can one tell w/o taking butt plate off whether it has bolt or not? Is there serial range, lesser fit (like in Winchester 23 vs BSS)?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.