April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gankai, LeFusil, David Williamson, Jimmy W, SKB, Replacement), 540 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,132
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

John Roberts.

I will repeat my self OILED GUN STOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say VARNISH?????

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I clean all my oiled gun stocks with RAW LINSEED OIL. Nothing else and then wipe down with a clean cloth.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
John Roberts.

I will repeat my self OILED GUN STOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say VARNISH?????

Damascus,
Did not mean to insult or demean you in any way. Sorry if I offended you.

An "oil finish" gunstock is 99% of the time one that has a thinned, linseed-based varnish that is built up over many repeated applications until you have what is known as a "dry-film thickness" or "varnish".

If you are referring to wood that has been sanded and had 3 or 4 coats of linseed oil rubbed in and has no finish above the surface, then I defer.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok I accidentally used hopes the first day I got it. It doesn't seem like it hurt anything.. I will not do this again.. Is there anything I can do to gently remove the hoppes? It was a very light amount applied to a soft cloth and gently applied to the stock. I'm guessing more was soaked into the cloth than the gun.

Is linseed oil the best route? Any certain brand?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't worry about removing the Hoppe's. Just don't use it again.

If you don't do anything to it other than a wipe with a damp cloth every now and then to remove any blood or dirt/mud, it will be just fine. Don't over-think this.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 10/07/13 09:12 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I attended stockmaking school at the Colorado School of Trades in Denver during the '50s, we were taught that once completing "dewiskering", to heat marine spar varnish in a double boiler, completely wet down the stock with the hot varnish, let drip-dry for a day, then sand with fine sandpaper down to the wood. Repeat until the pores were filled flush with the wood, then hand-rub a linseed oil mixture (similar to True Oil) until a minimum of four complete coating are applied. I found that 6 - 7 coats were needed to give the "depth of view" we wanted. To clean an oil finished stock further, when a damp clean cloth was insufficient, we could gently wipe with a turpentine wetted cloth, making sure not to scrub down to the wood.

I seem to remember J. Purdey cataloging finishing and cleaning materials for oil finished stocks. I imagine their cleaning mixtures were proprietary.

Jim Haynes

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been restoring/refinishing wood articles for the better part of 50 years and I believe I've literally tried everything under the sun over that time.
For the past few years I've been using Howards "Restor-A-Finish" on everything from an 18 Century grandfather clock case, to pieces of furniture to multiple gunstocks with both oil and varnish finishes. It does an excellent job of getting discoloration out of the finish including white rings in furniture. The producer maintain it's a finish penetrating restorer that blends out existing scratches while cleaning the surface. You just put some on 4/0 steel wool and gently scrub the surface. I use a relatively stiff toothbrush for the checkering.
This product is readily available in multiple tones at Home depot or Lowes.
Jim
N.B: There are probably as many different answers to the original question that started this thread as there are members of this forum. My response is based upon personally trying what has been proposed so far multiple times over the years.

Last edited by italiansxs; 10/08/13 07:03 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have absolutely no idea what the Howards "Restor-A-Finish" consistes of but a Home Brew mix which works very similar & was published by a British restorer of early Sewing Machines which he called "Fenman's Magic Elixer' consists of equal parts of a solvent (turpentine/mineral spirits etc) Vinegar (Fenman preferrred Malt Vinegar) & Linseed oil (Fenman liked Raw). For severely dirty applications a half part of de-natured alcohol can be added. I have not tried this mix on a gunstock but it does work wonders for its intended use. I used Turp, Malt Vinegar & BLO. Most of the early sewing machine cabinets were finished with either oil or shellac & it works great on either.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know I'm straying a bit here but here are pictures of a antique Scottish Grandfather clock I restored awhile back. When I bought it the finish was so grungy it was hard to tell it was over fancy mahogany veneer. This is what it looks like now after treatment with Restor-A-Finish. Before someone asks I have absolutely NO financial interest in the company that makes this product.
It only took me a couple of hours to do the cleaning which I followed up with a coat of furniture feeder.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 10/09/13 01:40 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.