April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Karl Graebner, 2 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,235
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got to say, this story is a real humdinger. I'd certainly enjoy the background story, more so now that others have made me go back to the pix and re-read the post(s).

I guess the thing that gets me is the complete smashing of stereotypes in the story. Picture: Early sixties; a farmer; buys a double shotgun; buys a FRENCH double shotgun; buys a 28 GAUGE French double shotgun; Puts the whole kit and caboodle away unopened.

Put all the known facts together and I'm scratching my head.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please Ted, share.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Impatiently waiting. smile My uninformed guess is the buyer wasn't a farmer ... but if so, I'd enjoy being corrected.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish I could find one like it !

But while I am dreaming make it a N0 5 or higher Ideal in 20 Gauge smile

Last edited by postoak; 08/26/13 11:19 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: postoak
I wish I could find one like it !

But while I a dreaming make it a N0 5 or higher Ideal in 20 Gauge smile

Lol, dream mine in 16 gauge!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The guy I got the gun from was technically the third owner. The gun was inventory at a stocking dealer, but not Stoeger, where it had been for a long time. So, two dealers owned it. I don't have the receipt from his purchase, and figured it would have been vulgar to ask for it. I don't know if Stoeger had a liquidation sale to a different dealer after they got out of the Darne line in 1973, but, that seems to make the most sense. He said the gun was purchased by him in the late 1970s, but, wasn't specific about the year.
He invited me, out of the blue, to come over and see two Darnes early this spring.The box was sealed until the day I helped him open it, being as careful as I could with the original packing the gun was enclosed in. He had looked at the stock section of the gun, briefly, when he bought it, returned that in it's paper wrapping to the box, and taped the box back up. The barrels and paperwork had never been out of the box, and the barrels had never been out of their protective paper wrapping. We assembled the gun, he shouldered it, and we wiped it down and put it away. He owns two Darnes, this one and a lower grade that is in fabulous condition, but, sans box and paperwork. I'd known him over a decade at that point, but, didn't know he owned either gun. We didn't actually discuss selling either gun at that point.
He owns guns that he has shot, but is not a hunter, and has been frail enough for many years that shooting is a distant memory for him. He is actually too frail to assemble or take down a Darne. He also has a nice collection of Lugers that he doesn't shoot, either. Darne and Luger mechanics fascinate him. He was married at one time, long ago, and is a widower, with no heirs. He is well along in the process of sorting his affairs to his satisfaction, from what I can tell. He has made it clear that money isn't an issue for him. He held a pilots license for many years. He was an engineer. I really know very little about him personally.
He was worried about "waking up dead" after a health scare in June, and the house being looted. A few things he owns are going to specific individuals in the hope they aren't misused after he is gone-the Lugers are all spoken for, by the way. Not by me. I guess we'd call him a collector who is in the process of retiring from collecting.
My only connection to him was a chance meeting at a gunshow many years ago, where I had a table. He sought out the Darne table, and then he needed to rest for a spell. Bill and I gave him a seat, a donut, a cup of coffee, a Darne catalog and a business card. Bill and I always had donuts and coffee at the booth back then- I shoulda' sold coffee and donuts, I might have made more money than selling Darnes. I made time for him when he called, perhaps a dozen times over as many years. I still field 3-4 calls a month from people with questions about Darnes, and try to be polite to everyone. We had a conversation or two over the phone about him ordering a new Darne, but, it was always understood that this wasn't exactly practical, for either of us, or likely. He was about 80 years old when we met. How would I measure a stooped up old guy for a custom gun? We laughed about that, more than once.
He actually asked me, last month, if I wanted a V19, at a good price. I'm not a big V Darne fan, not a big 28 gauge fan, but, the price was good, and the condition was, too.
I own it today.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

This story must be carefully stored away for the gun debate.

I mean, lots of times anti-gun people say that the only reason for wanting a gun is a conscious or subconsious desire to kill someone. We know it isn't so, but the 'not so' part is not so easy to prove. Now here is this person. He doesn't hunt, he doesn't shoot, he's simply fascinated with the guns' mechanics. What 'subconscious desire to kill', in the name of the world chaos? Who in the right mind could think of one good reason why this person should be banned from keeping these guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This one is the third one that I have seen. About five years ago a friend showed up with two. Both new and unfired. That he had bought from a texan client. They were serial numbered 1 &2 both had top end engraving one in nice relief work the other nice scroll and game scene. He wanted to capitalise on his investment and flog them off. The attempts to get reasonable valuations were not fruitful. I even floated them on this sight. Then we developed a friendship with a northern cal dealer who bought them from my friend for around $25,000 cash. They promptly disappeared and have not resursurfaced. They were as you might say SWEET. Just one of those fond memories from the past.
John Mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish I could have have met the guy with 25 grand. I had a V19 28g that I tried to sell for 2 yrs. It looked unfired, but didn't have the box. I couldn't get $ 5000.00 for mine. Chuck Brunner finally moved it for me. There is one on Crosnoes list for 7500.00 down from 11500.00. It was a great little gun but was just to small for me.
terc

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.