April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hugh Lomas, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some things are just simple and work. The Goldenrod is one of those things. It doesn't get much more humid than here in Georgia, summer and winter. My safe is an old Mosler cast iron safe converted to a gun safe. It is in an unheated room with a cabinet built around it. I have had a Goldenrod in it for 8 years. I have opened the cabinet during rainy winter weather to find the exterior of the safe dripping water, only to open it and find the inside dry and toasty. I has made a believer out of me.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I live on a salt water canal in Hawaii. You cannot possibly get a more corrosive environment than that. Even a well oiled gun left outside for a week will begin to become corroded. However, the guns in my safes each with a generic golden rod are dry and corrosion free after years of storage. I do take them out about twice a year and wipe down with an oiled cloth.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am using a small Cabelas dehumidifier as well as a bag of stuff that I heat in the oven to rejuvenate. That was from cabelas as well...I just am not home to get the actual product names. My question is that I have a goldenrod too. Has anyone heard of any electric fires or shorts that have happened with a goldenrod...just wondering.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: kopkai
As dumb and fundamental as it sounds, the best way to reduce and keep humidity down is to use a dessicant, a fancy word for something that takes moisture out of the air.

I burn coal, anthracite, for heat during winter and in the off season, and have the unenviable task of removing the sulfurous/acidic ash that corrodes the heat boxes of both of my stoves. As a chemist, I found that removing moisture/humidity worked wonders in avoiding corrosion (exfoliation of the boiler plate steel) out of the fire box of both of my stoves.
The simplest way of doing such is to buy magnesium sulfatehydrate (Epsom salts) from Wal-mart, placing it (~5 lbs) in an aluminum pan and heating it at 450F in an oven for 1-2 hrs. This drives the water out of reagent and the anhydrous magnesium sufate acts as a sponge to remove water out of the firebox during off season. I applied this concept to my gunsafe and it worked gangbusters. I start this in May and re-heat/recharge the mag sulfate in August. It's better than the "Goldenrod" to suppress corrosion and pitting

Do you put this entire amount in the safe? Do you simply sit the open pan of this stuff in your safe? Sure sounds simple. I have two large safes and one locally fabricated one for old beaters and magazines, etc. This sounds like I could save a buck or two in any given year. And if it doesn't work well, I can always soak my tired feet in Epsom salts!!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Simple? Having to dry it in the oven to drive the water out, then putting it in your safe where it takes up much more room than a Goldenrod? Then, after it absorbs water having to go through the oven drying thing again. How do you figure, Perry?

What could be more simple than a Goldenrod? You plug it in and, for all intents and purposes, forget it.

Not trying to to be argumentative, but why would you want salts in a closed space with your guns when you can accomplish the same thing with low heat?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Goldenrod", or heat rod, does its job by elevating the temperature of your guns to a greater degree than objects outside of your safe. A cooler object, especially metal, allows moisture to condensate of its surface but warmer guns inside a heated safe - even a few degrees higher than outside - do not allow for this condensation to develop.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One word of caution to the "chemical" (desiccant) dehumidifier users. A friend now deceased had access to lots of desiccant.

He used it in all of his safes. He kept quart cans of it in the bottom of all his safes. He passed away and his family would let no-one near his stuff for nearly 3 years. It keeps absorbing water. When the guns were recovered for sale they all were sitting in water 2-3 inches deep. Ruined for collectors...

Desiccant works but it must be maintained. if something happens then what. I like the Goldenrod.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the welding trade- certain "stick" welding rods by AWS code are hydroscopic- the flux absorbs ambient water in the air in humid conditions-- so we keep those rods in dryer ovens- in my shop, I have an old Philco fridge (thanks, Grandma) with the racks and a 150 watt light bulb- compressor remover--works like a charm-- ditto my Browning 32 gun capacity "steel tomb" I use the large Golden Rod, and also have the safe up on treated 2x6 framing- as putting a steel safe on a bare cement floor is not the best way to inside air flow around the periphery--

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 08/28/13 08:58 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
certain "stick" welding rods by AWS code are hydroscopic- the flux absorbs ambient water in the air in humid conditions

From Argonne National Labs:

Quote:
"hydroscopic": <=== Dictionary has no entry for hydroscopic

hy.gro.scop.ic Pronunciation: "hI-gr&-'sk-pik
Function: adjective Etymology: hygroscope,
an instrument showing changes in humidity + [^1]-ic;
from the use of such materials in the hygroscope Date: 1790
1 : readily taking up and retaining moisture
2 : taken up and retained under some conditions of
humidity and temperature
- hy.gro.scop.ic.i.ty /-(")sk@-'pi-s&-tE/ noun

Those rods are hygroscopic, as is any desicant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
certain "stick" welding rods by AWS code are hydroscopic- the flux absorbs ambient water in the air in humid conditions

From Argonne National Labs:

Quote:
"hydroscopic": <=== Dictionary has no entry for hydroscopic

hy.gro.scop.ic Pronunciation: "hI-gr&-'sk-pik
Function: adjective Etymology: hygroscope,
an instrument showing changes in humidity + [^1]-ic;
from the use of such materials in the hygroscope Date: 1790
1 : readily taking up and retaining moisture
2 : taken up and retained under some conditions of
humidity and temperature
- hy.gro.scop.ic.i.ty /-(")sk@-'pi-s&-tE/ noun

Those rods are hygroscopic, as is any desicant.
BFD- I know which ones by AWS codes are, and which are not- and how to certify with them to all positions in API and ASTM codes- when you can run the "Arkansas Bellhole" in API from root to cover passes, come and talk to me about SMAW welding- and you Fubared the spelling of desicant as well- Slick!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.