April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, susjwp, R. Glenz, Hugh Lomas, 2 invisible), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,981
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#334482 08/14/13 11:02 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunmaker W.W. Greener is reported to have written that he fired a side by side from which the underbolt and top bolt had been removed.

Where did he write this? Was it in "The Gun and its Development"? I have skimmed through the book but cannot find it.

Any help to locate this quote would be appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I HAVE ALSO DONE IT!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We need details. It must take a heavy dose of courage or a lot of AScotch to pull off something like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I only have the 9th edition of Greener. This statement is found in it but I don't recall just where nor do I know at what point he originally made it.
Dan Lefever also made a very similar statement concerning his guns.
The point is the rotational forces which would tend to open the gun in firing are just not that great. It is really humorous at times when see a maker tout his gun as having great strength because it has triple or quadruple bolts to hold her shut but the only thing they bothered to "Fit" to actually hold the breech to the barrels was the hinge pin. A sturdy hinge pin is normally quite adequate for the job, but one good solid bolt will hold any gun Shut that's ever been built.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I know the theory and I know how the forces are transferred. It was not by design, I was just on a hot peg on a driven day with pheasants shooting overhead through a gap in the tree line. I was on a bit of a roll and , typically, shooting a hammer gun with Jones under-lever. This is not the quickest mechanism and I was firing and loading as fast as I could. I had just fired the right and opened the gun, when a pigeon hove into view, he saw me, veered off and offered a going-away shot as he headed for the canopy, I still had a shell in the left barrel and just had time to shut the gun, no time to work the lever back to lock. I shot the pigeon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps you are thinking of experimental gun built by Greener to prove the merits of his patent cross bolt. The purpose of this gun was to demonstrate by supervised tests the merits of his patent cross bolt. The experiment is described in his book ,"Modern Shot Guns," pages 114-115. The only lockup on the action on the gun was by means of a detachable cross bolt. The gun was test fired with and without the cross bolt in place. The results achieved showed that without the cross bolt in place the gun gaped at the breech but did not fail.With the cross bolt in place there was no gape. The book contains illustrations of the gun and describes the method of testing for breech gape.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 08/15/13 07:33 AM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

On page 135 of "The Gun and It's Development" he states "...the barrels may be held to the bed of the breech-action body by the thumb and forefinger, even though a full charge be fired".

It is the last sentence on page 135.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This procedure is also described in a Lefever catalog from the 1890s.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've read that it is explained by the extreme speed with which a shot takes place, and the elasticity of our muscles. The action will actually open, and then get closed again by the pressure of the muscles, but it will be too fast for our nervous system to notice.

Maybe someone should suggest this issue to Mythbusters or other chaps who like playing around with guns and high-speed cameras?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Hammergun for the reference. And thanks Smallbore for the details of firing an unlocked gun.

I have my theories of what happens when a break open gun is fired, but lacking some hi-speed film cannot prove them. However, if you look at crude zip guns made of two pipes, you can surmise that the shell and barrel become one unit and recoil together agaist the breech. Which would explain the strong imprints of the barrels on the breech face, those cannot be made simply by repeated closings of the gun, unless the owner has the strength of a gorrilla!

The subject is fascinating but not having proof we can only speculate and some of that speculation contradicts long accepted authority.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.