March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Ian Forrester, SKB, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#334089 08/11/13 08:52 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tomorrow is the opening day for grouse shooting in the U.K.
In common with most of of the world, the U.K has experienced unusual/severe weather during the past year. Just wondered what impact this might have had on the prospects for grouse shooting in the coming season?

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

George Earl, "Going North, King's Cross Station, London", 1893 for the Glorious 12th

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy, yes. Not many grouse moors actually bother to start that early though as they usually wait until the young birds are bit stronger on the wing.

Now, straight from the Horse's mouth; or at least his wife's, I have just telephoned my grouse moor Gamekeeper friends house. This particular grouse moor in North Derbyshire seems to have had some sort of problem with Heather Beetle, heather being the staple food of grouse, and hasn't done very well so not known if there will be a shoot this year. I go working my dogs there and have been going there for about 40 years. Some years there are plenty and some not so many. Being totally wild they are at the mercy of the weather and other factors and are somewhat cyclical having ups and downs for no discernable reasons. Grouse moor Keepers are a rather pessimistic crowd anyway and there never is enough grouse to hear them talk.

According to his wife some other Derbyshire moors have got dates for shooting later this month but not known if my local one will be having a shoot this year. It will be the first time they have missed in my time. They normally have around three driven days with just one some poor years.

The Going North picture has another called Coming South. They are very large pictures and hang in the National Railway Museum in York. I will be there at the museum in October. The pictures are very impressive and filled with detail.

We have had some odd weather but then again English weather is always a bit odd. Last year we had a very warm mild spring with drought like conditions followed by a cold very wet summer unlike Scotland where it was warm and dry. This year we had a long cold winter and spring followed by a very hot summer. A wet period when the grouse chicks are hatching can be very bad as it chills them also there are not enough insects for the chicks.

I'll keep you informed on the subject when I have a bit more information if you are interested.

My old Chessie and a part of the bag. She is guarding them and would not allow anyone but me to appraoch at this stage. Lagopus.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/lagopus/PictureFile902.jpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, wrong bit. Try this. Lagopus.....

lagopus #334097 08/11/13 11:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Going North" and "Coming South" are two of my favourite pictures. You used to be able to buy very nice quality prints of those two pictures. I have seen the (huge) originals in York, and have the (rather more modest sized) prints hanging in my house.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Perth Station, Coming South", 1895

Gordon, Irish and English Setters, Pointers and even a Collie! smile

Last edited by Drew Hause; 08/11/13 11:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah yes the panic by many to get their guns out of the gunshop ,that they only remembered to take in last month. Very few will start shooting on the twelfth and some have never shot grouse but who knows they might get an invite .As much chance as me winning the lottery on that one .

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Punch" 1910
First Dog (hired for the season). "That's the fifteenth time running he's missed." Second Dog. "None too safe either; let's chuck it."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if the gentleman with the four setters on lead at the center of the painting might not be Percival Lewellin himself. They sure look like some of his dogs. But then agian why would he come to London when he lived in Wales? I think it would be more likely he would have caught the train to Scotland at Chester, Liverpool or perhaps Manchester.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman, I had to turn down a driven day on Barningham Moor, all expenses paid, as they wouldn't give me the time off work! Semi retired now and work flexy so no problem. I have also shot on Lord Derby's moor in Derbyshire on a walk one stand one day. Walked up grouse can be great fun and not expensive. I would like to have a go with muzzle loaders behind pointers like it was done 150 years ago. Lagopus.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.