March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hoot4570, playing hooky, jcn, GeorgeGibbs505, SKB, Pat Gidley), 858 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm presently researching a 20-gauge LC Smith Specialty Grade which gun features this barrel stamp "USA-F". This gun was shipped in May, 1942 and was not shipped to Rochester Ordanance; but instead to an entity listed as "Northern Commercial" with no address (anyone know what/who Northern Commercial may be?). All Smith gun shipped to Rochester Ordanance are stamped with a flaming bomb symbol; whereas this gun has no such stamp. In 1942 there was no US Air Force, as that division of the military was designed the U.S. Air Corp in 1942 (the Air Force we know today was establised in 1947) so the "F" portion of this barrel stamp would not designate Air Force. I've personally seen a Smith gun or two bearing the USA-F barrel stamp and had always thought that particular gun had been acquired for the military; but am now uncertain. So my question is does anyone know the significance of this "USA-F" barrel stamp? Has anyone seen this same stamp on other make guns? Thanks in advance for your assistance. Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Northern Commercial was a huge company operating in at least Alaska, like Hudson Bay Company in Canada. They traded in almost everything.

topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, thanks; that's certainly more information than I had. Was Northern Commercial a sporting goods company, hardware company, etc? Knowing the nature of this business would a;sp be good to know. Hopefully someone will see this post this evening and shed some light on those mystery "USA-F" stamps.
Best
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom,
Have you posed this qustion to Jim S, and perhaps someone on our forum can add something ????
Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Northern Commercial was a huge company operating in at least Alaska, like Hudson Bay Company in Canada. They traded in almost everything.

Daryl, your comparison to HBC is quite apt. In the eighties, HBC spun off their northern stores division into an independent public company, known as the North West Company. In the early 1990's the North West Company purchased Northern Commercial. I used to do business with the North West Company.

Tom, those stores service very small, very isolated communities all across the north. They sell everything. They are the closest thing left to a general store, hardware, food, clothing, sporting goods, you name it. If the community needs it, they get it. From a business perspective, the best thing about the operation is there is no competition and highly unlikely that someone will try.

Last edited by canvasback; 08/09/13 12:11 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dick:
Yes indeed this question has been posed to Jim Stubbendieck, and also to barrel stamp expert Drew House; we remain stumped at this pont, which is why I thought it appropriate to pose the question to the double gun community on this forum.

James
Thanks for the additional info on Northern Commercial. As to the gun being researched, the LC shipping records note thie gun as being shipped to Northern Commercial, but do not record city or territory destination. Interestingly the gun was returned to the factory two weeks after being shipped to Great Northern; then was shipped in conjunction with another other of guns, final destination not recorded. The factory commenced building this gun 10 days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, can't help wondering if the stamp in question may have patriotic significance? Again, all help is appreciated.
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Northern Commercial was as Canvasback says. Early on, the company was called Alaska Commercial. Northern Commercial sold anything from food to Caterpillar. I think their "home" office was in Seattle during my years in Alaska.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The USA-F has been discussed at lengths on the Smith forum. I have seen a number with the marking on the barrels only without the flats markings flaming bomb, crossed cannons and RLB or some other military inspector's mark. All that I have seen were made in 1942. If it is an inspector's mark he only worked in 1942.

Maybe as suggested, USA was a patriotic mark added by worker F or maybe it stands for Fulton. USA-F has also been seen on the boxlock Fultons as some of those were also sold to the military. Ithaca and Stevens also sold doubles to the military but none I have seen have USA-F marks which seems exclusive to Hunter Arms.

I have two fully marked Smith ordnance guns. One with USA-F; the other not. I have one with just the USA-F mark. All were made in 1942.

Last edited by 2holer; 08/13/13 10:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Northern Commercial was as Canvasback says. Early on, the company was called Alaska Commercial. Northern Commercial sold anything from food to Caterpillar. I think their "home" office was in Seattle during my years in Alaska.

Daryl, pretty sure you are correct about Seattle being the home office location for Northern Commercial. One of the reasons I am familiar with HBC Northern Stores/North West Company is because they are based in my home town, Winnipeg, and I also knew people who worked for them.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: topgun
I'm presently researching a 20-gauge LC Smith Specialty Grade which gun features this barrel stamp "USA-F". This gun was shipped in May, 1942 and was not shipped to Rochester Ordanancece. Tom

All military use purchases for L.C. Smith shotguns went through Rochester Ordnance. The Government did not purchase "Specialty Grade" L.C. Smith shotguns.

From Serial Number 197,321 on May 9, 1942 to Serial Number 202,813 on April 9, 1943, Rochester Ordnance purchased the following grade L.C. Smith shotguns only, no more, no less:

Field Grade 1,477
Ideal Grade 20
Wild Foul 9

Being an ex military fighter pilot, although from another period in time, and having spoken with several of my pilot friends who did fly and train during WWII, I know of no military lead and lag training that took place with 20 gauge shotguns during WWII from any maker. I think the records bare this out quite conclusively.

Most likely the USA-F = UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - FULTON. Not documented and the people who actually applied those stamps are dead, so pot luck I would say.

Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.