April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Karl Graebner, Tim in PA, FlyChamps, Jimmy W, NCTarheel), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#333131 08/01/13 04:07 PM
Old Joe Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gun is legally shipped from seller ffl to second ffl in another state for delivery to a private person who has paid seller for the gun to include insurance. Who owns the gun after it is signed out from seller's record book and before gun is logged in receiving ffl's record book ? As when it is in custody of ups, fedex, post office.

Furher question, let us say the gun is damaged or lost before logged in by the receiving ffl. Who files for insurance and who reports the stolen gun to the BATF ?

Last edited by Old Joe; 08/02/13 07:48 AM. Reason: corrected details
Sidelock
Sidelock

The sender pays for the insurance, so the sender has to file--and has to report the stolen gun, because it has never entered the custody of the individual on the receiving end.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd say ownership transfers when payment and receipt change hands. Whatever then happens to it is at the risk of the owner, unless other agreements are in place. Ownership of a gun and being in possession of it are different. Responsibility for it is with whoever legally holds it until transferred formally into the hands of another (in this case FFL).

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall Uniform Commercial Code The title ( ownership) transfers when Invoice is cut. If paid in advance then buyer actually owns the goods.
Shipper If requested takes out insurance and therefore claims the loss. Buyer has claim against shipper for non-delivery. ie should get money back.
Report of loss theft should be shipper and owner.Shipper has obligation to file due to ATF record keeping requirements.
If however shipment was within state not Interstate then local state law would have precedence.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there/was there an inspection period?

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract

The elements of a contract are "offer" and "acceptance" by "competent persons" having legal capacity who exchange "consideration" to create "mutuality of obligation."[1]

Was the consideration exchanged?

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/01/13 09:51 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

As an insurance adjuster my first question would be who sustained the loss. If the seller has been paid in full the seller no longer has an insurable interest in the goods and has suffered no loss - he got his money. If the buyer paid for the gun in full prior to shipping he has sustained the loss and his insurance or the insurance purchased from the shipper would apply pursuant to the terms of the policy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the FFL's sending the gun between each other or are they handling the transaction for two individuals? (example: Person A, a Michigan resident, selling to Person B, an Indiana Resident. Person A goes to a local FFL who ships to a FFL in Indiana) Note: the USS does not apply to sales of goods between individuals so the answer to the question above depends on the legal status of the buyer and the seller.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Old Joe--

are you a law school professor in another life? That question is a lovely set up that would give the little buggers (your students) a chance to show off.

But since you've called the first FFL the 'seller' and the second one the 'buyer', the answer to what you've asked is a question of federal law and I assume BATF has a regulation covering disappearance in transit. OTOH, everybody else has a piece of the answer under the applicable UCC, the insurance coverage issue and so on. Of course, under the UCC the parties can negotiate terms (FOB, COD, L/C, you pick), but in a private party transaction that doesn't happen.

Laissez les bon temps roulez.

Old Joe Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am sorry, i mis stated the question in my first post. it should have read that a seller ffl legally ships gun to ffl in another state for delivery to a private party who has sent payment in full to seller to include insurance. of course the private person would not take possession of the gun until federal form 4473 is completed at receiving ffl premises and background check approved. I will edit my first post. I am not a professor and am just one who buys guns as decribed.

The same questions apply. who owns the gun after it is signed out from seller's record book and before gun is logged in receiving ffl's record book ? As when it is in custody of ups, fedex, post office.

Furher question, let us say the gun is damaged or lost before logged in by the receiving ffl. who files for insurance and who reports the stolen gun to the BATF ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.