April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Lloyd3, Karl Graebner, dogon, Jtplumb, battle, ClapperZapper, 2 invisible), 991 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,235
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Ted, Bob Brister in his shotgun text book Shotgunning the Art and Science talks about the cold weather and declining performance. But hey I wouldn't shoot mallards with a 410, but they are fun in the right situation. The only drawback to Argintina doves is loading those little shells:)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
You make a good point. Those midwinter phez must be tough just to make it out there. I doubt I'd go after them with anything but a 12ga. While I've use one of my 410's to take a single phez, wild South Dakota phez at that, I wouldn't likely make it a regular event.

My use for a 410 has been for wild Calif Valley quail and recently Gambels quail. I'm finding my bag take didn't suffer much from using a 20ga. I'll admit, using the 410 has been a novelty. But then, all of my hunting is for my novel enjoyment.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I only have one 410, it's an 870 Wingmaster and for reference it weighs 6.5 ibs.. I have both 12 and 20 sxs's that weigh less and handle better so the 410 sees little use. My son does like to use it on ocassion to humiliate the old man, though.

Yep, those .410's are useless - won't kill a thing.

Especially not big birds:

Missing all those birds messes up the dogs, too:

I think you guys should sell all your .410's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun. Who stocked and engraved such a .410?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Missouri Conservation Magazine(where MM had his start) had an article on the early days of the regulated deer hunting season. The deer in those days were few and far in numbers, so not many pure deer rifles were about, and the ever present farmer's .22L rimfire rifle was pressed into action.
Anything can happen, even with a 410.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Murph,
That looks very much like some of Angelo Bee's work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The short answer to your original question is 'Yes'.

I have alot of people asking me for a double .410 - either hammer or hammerless but they want adecent quality gun ata low price - rather than a 'best' gun at a high price or a cheap, low grade gun at whatever price (generally too high).

The problem is supply and demand - there are not many good .410s around in good nick and those there are, are expensive - so people baulk at the price in comparison to the quality. As a result, they think they want a .410 but they don't want to buy what is available for what it costs and therefore do not have a .410, but still think they want one.

Another problem is that everyone wants a 'man size .410' with original long stock and barrels - hen's teeth are easier to find. And they want them proofed for modern, long cartridges, which almost none were originally.

Of course, some people know all this and do buy the available guns at the prices asked, but more do not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

""The short answer to your original question is 'Yes'.""

Note the original question said "Is "EVERYONE"" so the short answer is "NO". There's at least Ted & I. Even my wife when she was able to get out & hunt with me some, always wanted a 28ga but never a .410 so make it at least three.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, I was being imprecise! I meant everyone except me, you, Ted and your wife. Actually, I meant 'A lot of people'.

I sold one on saturday when I went to help on a shotgun Proficiency course at Wiltshire College. the lady who bought it could actually hit the clays with it - not sure I could!

I sell a lot of Webley & Scott .410 bolt actions - to my mind the best value .410 available. Indestructable, nice handling and no recoil. For £100 a time, they go as fast as I can get them through.

I started shooting a 12-bore when I was twelve or thirteen - saw no point fiddling around with rat guns on a game shoot. Still don't - but I have no problem with those who want to.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.