April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, WBLDon, SKB, Ted Schefelbein, ClapperZapper), 992 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great! Thank you for the update.

One thing I might add is you might experiment with your course of fire. For double rifles I normally load both barrels and then shoot right and left quickly. Then reload both, continue etc. for either a 4 shot or 6 shot group all in quick succession (about 1-2 minutes). Rather than breaking open you gun to re-load between barrels I find this helps with keeping the sight picture with express sites. Also I think shooting both barrels in quick succession is more how these are designed in terms of regulation (but I could be wrong).

Then I let the barrels cool at least 15-30 minutes depending on the heat of the day. From all I've read (including a good number of 19th century writers and gun makers) that is pretty close to how they were expected to shoot. Actually with express rifles they often shot 10 shot groups or "squares" in quick succession in the 1880s.

Last edited by Chasseur d'ours; 07/19/13 06:29 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I agree that I should should rapidly shoot right then left. However I am uncomfortable in loading both barrels until I have my bullet tension issue resolved. At this point I am concerned that the loose bullet the left barrel would be moved by the recoil in the right barrel. Once I have solved the bullet tension issue then I will go ahead and load both barrels and shoot groups of at least six.

Last edited by old colonel; 07/19/13 07:21 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bottomline up front, my assumptions on bore size of .423/.424 were erroneous. I have been resizing to far down.

Based on some good input on NitroExpress.com I reslugged the bores from both breech and muzzle. I sent the slugs and fired cases to a more skilled and better equipped person who could measure them and provide a good check to me driving myself crazy with inconsistent measurements.

The slugs measured out indicated the bore is right about .428" tapering about .001" toward the muzzle. (so the 0.423 was too small)

The fired cases are .434-.435" inside the neck, so the chamber has good neck clearance to release the bullets.

I test loaded two cartridges before I left the house this morning with bullets resized to 0.427 and they both came off correct without loose bullet tension. I did note that advice on the expanding button might be oversized and that maybe true

I intend to shoot it with the jacketed 0.427 bullets to see how they do before I move up to anything larger diameter. I am not going up to 0.428 not because I lack faith in the measurements but because I want to take it step by step.

I need to cancel my order for 0.423 258 bullets from Hawks as they will not be of much use.

Once I have nailed down the best regulating load with the Hornaday XTP 240 grain, I may go ahead and see how it does with the Hornaday FTX 265 Grain at 1800 FPS

It will be two weeks before I will be able to get to a range again to fire my next lot of reloads

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

old colonel,
If it's too late to stop the .423 bullets, that is the correct size for 404 Jeffery (and some 10.75mms), just buy one and shoot them in it. Having bullets is as good an excuse to buy(or build)a new rifle as any.In the end, I'm sure you can use full size 44 bullets in your double. Good luck.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If it turns out too late I will put them on the shelf for a bit to see what happens. It is unlikely I will buy another Double Rifle anytime soon.

My short term and mid term projects involve developing accurate regulated loads for the Double Rifle, procure all correct case tools and Huey Case for it. For the DR's two shotgun cousins, 16 & 12 ga SLEs (all three are made by Jules Bury and a engraved by Schoffeniels) all the case tools, Huey Case, and properly engraved RMC cases.

Long term I want to find a way to put a new set of 20 gauge and an additional set of 16 gauge barrels on my 16 SLE and an additional 410 set of barrels on my DR, but that is long time and many many dollars away if ever. (Besides I may get lucky enough near matching engraved gun by Schoffeniels in 20 gauge one day - I am sure there is likely one out there somewhere - and it is the only thing that could tempt me right now to break my no additional gun vow).

Most importantly more than all the toys to go with the guns my chief goal is to spend time and energy hunting the guns I have. I believe it is more important to simply hunt well than have pretty toys.

this thread is moving away from its base subject of shoot a 10.75x52r Springer DR. I will start another when I get my next round of shooting done

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.