April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fudd, canvasback, Birdog, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 842 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,191
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#330698 07/15/13 04:49 AM
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

About a month ago, I was in the Denver area when the local gun show was on and ran across this Newton that screamed "take me home". I hit the owner up right before the show closed and he knocked 33% off the price and we both parted company happy. Now, your mission if you should decide to take it is tell me how happy I should be. I have read every thread in this forum and looked through Michael Petrov's book and have no clue as to who stocked this. It may well be a reasonably talented amateur. What I have is a Newton, with a Springfield barrel, Lyman 48 sight and a stock. The entire gun is a deep black, yet it shows no signs of having been buffed. The bolt body is the only thing polished. Stock finish appears to be a shellac or varnish type finish as there are a few flakes near the butt. When I got it home, the first thing I did was get the butt plate off and toss it in a pail of oil. There was moisture under the but and rust had started. Not bad, but it was there. I suspect that a spilled drink on the table had leached its way under the butt plate, I have no other explanation. I let the butt dry and coated the end with raw linseed oil and let it dry for a couple of weeks. The butt plate went into the ultrasonic and saw some minor scrubbing with soft brushes but nothing else. I believe it will need more attention, but am not sure what to use. A bunch of pictures follow showing as much detail as possible. Hopefully they will provide styling clues that will set off alarms amongst the more experienced members.

Edited to add: By my Trash reference, please do not infer that I consider it to be such. I guess I should have titled it "Diamond in the rough" or some such, but at 3 am, my sense of humor had gotten pretty sick and fueled by a bit of George Dickels. LOL

Looks like this is all I can put in this post, more to follow.

Last edited by Thaine; 07/15/13 02:46 PM.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Only marks on the receiver. I assume serial number, but what is the 1 on the recoil lug for?

Same serial number on bolt root

Only marks on barrel on bottom. Top has SA, ordinance bomb, and 2-34 for Feb 1934 Springfield Arsenal back of the front sight.

It is 2 3/8" between centers for the side mount holes. Any ideas as to type?

Suggestions for cleaning here?

The pivot area is thin, is this common on these? There wasn't any rust in this area to cause it.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Last of the bunch showing stock detail. Sorry about picture overload, but it should eliminate most questions and hopefully provide clues.

The area to the upper rear of the mag box appears to be a fresher cut, note the pencil line. Also the cut out for the side mount is evident.

Horn tip I am guessing?

That should do it, if anyone needs any other pictures let me know LOL.

I don't like the shiny wood finish, I would like to see it in oil, what would be best here? Also the area on the butt, needs more cleaning, but I was afraid of chipping the wood. I read a statement of MP's about being nervous with the butt plate off and I sure was.

I hope I haven't overloaded everyone with photos and would appreciate any input, advice, identification or just general information. The only area I haven't looked yet is under the trigger guard, but there are no marks on the stock or metal other that the ones you see. So what say you, trash, treasure or just a usable Newton?

Thaine

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine,
I learned years ago,negotiating changes to construction contracts,that once you have a mutually agreed upon deal;"don't look behind it".Be happy with what you found and enjoy it.
Mike

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike,
Wise words and for what it is worth, I am happy. Otherwise it would not have followed me home. I didn't have a Newton of any type and while this isn't "original" it strikes me as being representative of what the forum is titled. A classic action with period improvements to produce a "custom" in someones eyes. They can't all be G&H, Owens, etc; but as I said in the "question for all" thread the fun is in the hunt
Thanks
Thaine

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be very happy with that rifle, no matter who did the work. Nice gun!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The trap buttplate is worth a couple of hundred. Kinda reminds me of a supergrade model 70 stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no idea who made it but not bad work. It's a nice rifle, enjoy.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

The numeral "1" stamped on the underside of the receiver is actually the letter "L", which was sometimes used to designate actions to be used for 256N or 30 USG cartridges. The receivers destined to be 30/35 N were stamped 30 C. There seemed to be no hard and fast rule which ones were stamped or not stamped, but the L stamping is far less commonly encountered, in my experience.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Don't think I'll ever quit learning about Newtons. Didn't know the significance of the "L". In the serial number lists that I have, number 1496 is in a long numerical line of rifles made in .256 so chances are it was originally a .256 Newton caliber.

LSW

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.