May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (bushveld, eeb, Hammergun, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb, Jimmy W), 627 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,488
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Newlyn1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted is correct -- I am not inclined to buy used both because I haven't seen anything I want (12ga, stright grip, mod/full) and because I am still new to the double gun world and would be worried about buying a problem. (Although that Bernardelli Hemingway is tempting...)

If I were to buy a more expensive new gun, what would you recommend?

Another option is to pay another gunsmith to work on the safety of the original gun. I would have to pay out of pocket, but maybe that is worth it for not having to wait.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having fixed a couple of my own safeties which didn't feel right to me, I can't imagine the gun was even seen by a gunsmith on the second trip. If you want the gun otherwise ask a double gun smith what he thinks about cost to repair the safety. It just shouldn't be that big a problem to smooth out the operation- probably a matter of a little polishing work on a couple of surfaces. Maybe Lion Country will even stand for the cost or a portion there of. The gun isn't likely to be sold by LC for full retail with that safety so it would be in their interest too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would get my money back and call De Haan Shotguns. You can get a better looking gun (IMHO), better quality (again, IMHO), better customer service and put some cash back in your pocket. You can get a SxS gun with fully hand-engraved sideplates in 12, 16 or 20 ga. for $889, or without for $719. This includes a 7-day no shoot inspection period. If you don't like it, send it back and get a refund, minus $30 shipping charges.

http://www.dhshotguns.com

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd get my money back ASAP and start looking around. At the worst, if after a few months you don't find anything you like, take the 3 hour drive over to Lion Country and pick out an Uggie that you like and has no issues, yet. I don't know their operation but maybe thay can let you shoot the gun before you buy.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I send a gun back under warrenty I expect someone to check that it has been fixed BEFORE they send it back to me. In the long run I think you will never be satisifed with the fix. Get your money back. If you still have to have one, call them to find out if they have something in stock you might like and drive over for a look.

Al

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like you're looking for a new "clone" of the British game gun concept: 12ga, straight grip, double triggers, relatively light. Well, you've got the Beretta 471, but it will cost you about twice as much. The Weatherby Athena d'Italia isn't as much money, but I think you'll find they're somewhat heavier guns. (But you should look at one if you can--might work for you.) Merkel 47E is another good one, but about in the Beretta price range--and if you're going to spend that much, then you also have the AyA 4/53. Beretta, Merkel, AyA--all right around $3,000. Weatherby about $2,000.

Newlyn, the reason I suggested used--and I stress again, NEWER used, to stay away from vintage guns with short chambers and other issues you may not want to deal with--is because there are so many really good guns out there, for what you're paying for a new Uggie (or even less). Ithaca SKB 280E, if you don't mind a beavertail forend and a single trigger; BSS 12ga Sporter, although they're somewhat heavy for a "game gun"; various models by V. Bernardelli, especially the sideplated Roma guns, but also the Gamecock; postwar Merkels, Sauers, and Simsons, although you have to look a bit to find one with a straight grip; the Zoli-Rizzinis Abercrombie & Fitch imported, although most of them did have a round knob rather than an English stock. If you buy from a reputable dealer, they'll stand behind what they sell. That's definitely the route I'd take.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope it gets resolved.
My old Uggie acted like that once, but then I realize, I was hitting the safety between shots.
Those english grips take some getting used to.

Hell, I'll sell you my 20 ga. Parker Trojan at a sacrifice price just to get you away from the paella leftovers and camel turd guns(and give Dave $20 just for the "rescue"). For god sakes get something made out of REAL STEEL put together by someone who knows how to properly TEMPER it!!! KBM

Newlyn1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think I am going to drive to Cabelas this weekend and take another look at the Weatherby D'Italia. The last time I compared it with the Uggie I liked the Uggie better, but maybe this time I will think otherwise. Any thoughts on the D'Italia?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one of those for field test when I was preparing an article on Fausti Stefano, the company that makes those guns for Weatherby. Have to say, up front, that writers seldom have field test guns long enough to uncover problems that owners might find, after they've fired a few flats of shells. But that being said, my major complaint about the d'Italia was that I thought the trigger pulls were on the heavy side--although they were pretty crisp. But some people (and I'm one of them) are more particular about trigger pull weight than others. I'd say it's worth a look.

Which Cabela's--Hamburg? If so and Andy's in the Gun Library, tell him hello from me. And if you are at all tempted by anything in the newer used category that you might see, Cabela's has a policy of standing behind what they sell. If you see something you like, other than the d'Italia, don't hesitate to post here. You'll get plenty of opinions, including from people who have owned and shot what you're looking at.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.