May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mike Harrell), 817 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,401
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ManOwar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The exporter told me upfront that the fees on his side of the pond were going to be approx 325, thus i figured that into the cost. He also to me that I could do everything on this side myself side at no cost (there is the rub)!

In regards to duties: According to "Harmonized Tariff Schedule" If a firearm is at least 100 years old or more and you can provide proof of age, the firearm will be eligible for duty-free treatment under the antique provision in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule.

He responded to this by I quote "For the Tariff Schedule I affirm in writing with reference to Nigel Brown - British Gunmakers (the standard trade reference bible ) date of manufacture."

cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Again, who did you think would transfer it thru customs and who would pay the freight to get it here? I think you could handle customs yourself if you were at the port of entry and chose to do so.

Last edited by cpa; 05/17/13 01:43 PM.
ManOwar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The frieght is part of the cost included by the exporter. I was told (again by the exporter representing the auction house) that I could pick the gun up myself at the airport, from the customs agent... So, other than the 325 paid to the exporter, my fuel and time, no cost.. And duty free due to the age of the gun... It's a mess, but i'm trying to stay positive. I was just looking to see if any of you chaps had experienced anything like this.. Thanks

cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's why I gave up the idea of importing - nothing I could afford would support the shipping and import cost. smile

ManOwar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I believe you are wise not to try it... If i ever do it again, it will limited to pre-1898 guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ManOwar, I would suggest that the gun's freight was not part of the 325bps charge by the exporter. My experience has been, since Parcel Force quit handling firearms, that they must come Air Freight and my Air Freight quotes have been higher [for one gun] than your exporter's charge. FedEx and UPS will not handle firearms in England for export.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 05/17/13 02:59 PM.
ManOwar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl - You may be right, but that's not what i was told... I was told it was included... However, given everything else I was told (IN WRITING) was wrong ~ who the hell knows.... smile

here is what he said (cut and paste from email): price to arrival international airport - shipping 280 to 15 kilo (2/3 shotguns/ rifles) plus 45 ins

Sidelock
Sidelock

I must admit I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I purchased a pre 1898 item at auction and used Harry for the first time. Harry ( I assume that he is the exporter we are talking about) is a nice guy and has been in the gun buisness a long time, but with no disrespect, he sure likes to talk, but means well. It was a new learning experience, but did not put me off of buying guns at the London auction houses.

Either right ot wrong, I always feel I am bidding against US gun dealers when I am bidding! One look at Boss & Co. gun prices listed on Guns International by gun dealers, is why I buy my English guns at auction. These same guns when they cross the Atlantic may cost me an additional $1,000 or so, but they seem to double or triple in price when they cross the Atlantic for the dealers.

All the labor, anxiety and stress of auctions and importing, will disappear, when you feel the beauty of that little darling of bygone English craftmanship in your hands!

Don't dispair cheer up, it may be painful but you did the right thing!
Believe me! I have been there!
Have a nice week-end!
Herb

Last edited by H.W. Hyatt; 05/17/13 03:16 PM.

"In my GSP I do trust"
ManOwar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Herb - Your message has been the most encouraging thus far. THANKS a bunch

Last edited by ManOwar; 05/17/13 04:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

325 GBP's is the price for freight from the exporter's place of buisness to a port of entry. Virgin Atlantic, and yes Fedex, are two freight carriers that have been used within the past year for me, by UK exporters. If the purchase was at Holts there was a 30 GBP charge by Holts, to get it from Holt's to the exporter.

"In my GSP I do trust"
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.