March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#323485 05/03/13 10:01 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am posting this looking for some advice and suggestions

I am still waiting for my CH 444 Press to put my dies in to start loading for my 10,75x52R Springer chambered Double Rifle. I have ordered Brass (RMC and 45-70 to be reformed), various Bullets, Several Powders, Kynoch Foam Wads, etc.)

At this point I have not been able to locate complete reloading data for the 10,75x52R Springer cartridge in any source. The only data I have found is from Samereier in Germany. That load appears to be a 258gr RNSP with 45grns N135, the case appears to be a lathed turn reproduction what more than likely has a smaller interior than a reformed 45-70 case.

I believe I can approximately recreate the Samereier case with Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company brass. In the meantime I have measured the reformed 45-70 brass for volume 76.5 grains of Water. To get a rough idea what the capacity of the lathed brass will be I also filled one with plastic wood then drilled it out getting 62 grains of water.

I have researched as much as I can on similar European cartridges and come to the conclusion that the 10,75x52R Springer most likely had an original velocity between 1700 and 2000 FPS. The most likely bullet was a Round Nose Soft Point between from 258 grains to 347 grains; with the lighter bullet more common.

I have no solid proof on Max Chamber Pressure or what the average chamber pressure was in similar cartridges of the 1904 period.

Any advice on a good baseline for Max Chamber Pressure is appreciated?

I have acquired QUICKLOAD 3.8 software and have run various loading scenarios with both case volumes. MY research on QUICKLOAD tells me I can likely trust the velocity answers generated as being close, but that the pressure results are not very good (I do not know if that means too high or too low).

Any advice on using the QUICKLOAD 3.8?

I want to thank those who recommended Graeme Wright’s Shooting the British Double Rifle, which I have now read twice. It is an excellent source and good food for various thoughts. I have several other books on order on to include Howell’s “Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges For Rifles” and Donnely’s “The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions”

Through dissection and QUICKLOAD confirmation; I have determined that the powder in the reloads done by a previous owner that came with the gun filled less than 40% of the case and varied by as much as 4 grains of powder.

I have a friend with a chronograph, but I do not have access to anyone with stress pressure gauge. I have not decided if I want to bite the bullet and get both.

Any advice on which chronograph and stress gauge if I go to buy one is appreciated?

On bullets I am still in the trying to figure out mode. I am ordering some custom 258gr RNSP from Hawk Bullets. I am also toying with the idea of shooting cast lead bullets. The barrel is marked for Jacketed Bullets (B.BLINDEE) and I believe the rifling is designed for them; however I think I could get away with shooting either lubed cast bullets or Paper patched bullets.

Any advice on shooting either lubed cast bullets or Paper patched bullets through a B.BLINDEE bore is appreciated.

In Summary:

Any advice on a good baseline for Max Chamber Pressure is appreciated?

Any advice on using the QUICKLOAD 3.8 Pressure is appreciated?

Any advice on which chronograph and stress gauge if I go to buy one is appreciated?

Any advice on shooting either lubed cast bullets or Paper patched bullets through a B.BLINDEE bore is appreciated?

Last edited by old colonel; 05/03/13 10:02 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can help with these:

B.BLINDEE - Belgian proof mark: rifled bores greater than 22 caliber for jacketed bullets in use from 1910 through 1968. I have no experience switching to paper patched from jacketed.

If you are only achieving 40% of case capacity, you have to use a filler.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey OC. I agree with the filler comment. There was an excellent article in DGJ on fillers and pressure some time ago. I opt for cotton as it had the most consistant pressures compared to availability.
Good luck with it. I have a .450 express x 2.5" (or something like that) so I will be following in your footsteps shortly.
Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The delay in getting the press has enabled me to pause and give thought to the next steps and work through things a bit.

I believe the DGJ article is a Summer of 2011 unless there is another

Last edited by old colonel; 05/05/13 04:25 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a reprint of the filler article posted with permission at AR.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.