March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RedofTx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This shotgun is for sale at a local pawn shop (1.5hr away). I saw it about a month ago, and called today and it is still there. It is as described in the title, but the barrels measure 23 7/8". They probably started out 28 0r 30". xx frame. 48,000 range. That should put it about 1903 made. The bores were fine save for several dents/depressions. As best I can recall, the wood was chipped on the left side either the top near the tang/receiver or the bottom by the reciever. I've slept since then. He is asking $699, one month ago and still $699 when I called this afternoon. I did not have my chamber length gauge or my bore i.d. gauge with me that day.

I like LeFevers and according to Elliott's book, only about 8% were 16ga. According to a 2yr copy of Blue Book of Gun Values, Fjestad, 10% is $800 and add 50% for 16ga.

The nominal bore i.d. for 16 gauge should be .662. Correct?
The chambers should be 2 9/16"
With the things described, would you pay $699 for a not so common 16 bore LeFever?

I plan to try and go tomorrow to make a deal.
All comments and opinions welcome.

Last edited by RedofTx; 04/30/13 06:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How I look at these is they want that for a fox B or nitro special. If tight and the dents can be worked and all the other "BUGGERS" can be lived with enjoy it. It is a shooter and nothing more. But again they want than for much lesser shotguns. Please let us know how you do, Bob

BEWARE OF DOGMA
Sidelock
Sidelock

.662" is nominal for 16ga, but be aware an individual gun may never have been nominal. Many Lefevers in 10 & 12 ga were bored oversize for use by waterfowlers using all brass shells, but I would suspect this is not so prevalent in the 16. I also would suspect the vast majority of 16ga Lefevers had 2 9/16" chambers, but I have a post 1907 16ga H with 28" bbls, both full choked, which has 3" chambers so one never knows until they are measured.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can live with the sawed off barrels go for it but keep in mind the value is significantly less than a gun with good barrels and finding another set of barrels will be next to impossible. I would offer $300.00 or let it set and wait for a Cowboy Action Shooter.

RedofTx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had planned on offering him a S&W 19-3 Combat Mag. straight up as a trade. I would like to acquire it but I don't have to have it.

I did rescue a C grade thumb-opener about 3yrs ago that was in sad shape. I poured mucho bucks into it to get it right, and I'll never get out of it what I have in it. I'll just shoot it, enjoy it and pass it on to the boy.

Last edited by RedofTx; 04/30/13 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Sidelock
Sidelock

$699.00 for a 23 7/8" barreled G grade? And dents? And stock damage? No way. If you bought it and listed it on Gunbroker, I'd be surprised if you got even $250.00 for it.

As TwiceBarrel points out, finding a set of replacement barrels will be very difficult. I bought a 16 ga. G Lefever action and forearm for $45.00 about 7 years ago. It came from a local police dept. and had been made into a sawed off shotgun. They would not sell the 10" barrels and the butt was cut off at the pistol grip. I've looked long and hard for a set of barrels for it... I'm still looking.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

RedofTx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well Sirs, here is the skinny.

Serial # 48081
Inside right bore : .671 and .669 choke constriction
Inside left bore : .670 and .668 choke constriction
Chambers: 2 1/2"
6 lbs 8 oz.
14 1/8 l.o.p.
The shotgun is very tight, forend on and off. Lever to the right.
The gap at the end of the cut barrels measured 1/16" between bbls.
--I fired it on brand new snap caps. The firing pins barely made an indention on the brass center of the snap caps.
--The right side cocking indicator did not recess flush with the sideplate when fired. I did this 3x to check.
--The wood was re-finished. The original grip cap is now proud of the grip, and the trigger guard is excessively proud under the grip.
--It did have the original LACo buttplate.
--The chip in the wood was on the right side above the right sideplate, next to the receiver, about 1/2" gone.

I did not take the S&W. I decided to just pay cash. I asked the guy if I could make an offer. I offered $500 and he almost laughed. I pointed out the dents needing removal, and possibly the point of impact being messed up b/c of cut bbls. His reply was 'Well it's an over 100yr old gun.' I said true, but there are 100+ yr old guns out there that have been cared for, and are still in very good condition. He then told me in order to move it he might put iton GunBroker. I said are you going to start out a $1 like a true auction should? He said it would be listed with a reserve. I bid him good luck and good day. If you see LeFever G grade 16ga serial 48081 on gunbroker, this will be the gun. If anyone wants the contact number and info. let me know. I think I will pass on this one, even though I like LeFever's and it's a 16 gauge.

Last edited by RedofTx; 05/01/13 03:09 PM. Reason: spellin again
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RedofTx
Well Sirs, here is the skinny.

Serial # 48081
Inside right bore : .671 and .669 choke constriction
Inside left bore : .670 and .668 choke constriction
Chambers: 2 1/2"
6 lbs 8 oz.
14 1/8 l.o.p.
The shotgun is very tight, forend on and off. Lever to the right.
The gap at the end of the cut barrels measured 1/16" between bbls.
--I fired it on brand new snap caps. The firing pins barely made an indention on the brass center of the snap caps.
--The right side cocking indicator did not recess flush with the sideplate when fired. I did this 3x to check.
--The wood was re-finished. The original grip cap is now proud of the grip, and the trigger guard is excessively proud under the grip.
--It did have the original LACo buttplate.
--The chip in the wood was on the right side above the right sideplate, next to the receiver, about 1/2" gone.

I did not take the S&W. I decided to just pay cash. I asked the guy if I could make an offer. I offered $500 and he almost laughed. I pointed out the dents needing removal, and possibly the point of impact being messed up b/c of cut bbls. His reply was 'Well it's an over 100yr old gun.' I said true, but there are 100+ yr old guns out there that have been cared for, and are still in very good condition. He then told me in order to move it he might put iton GunBroker. I said are you going to start out a $1 like a true auction should? He said it would be listed with a reserve. I bid him good luck and good day. If you see LeFever G grade 16ga serial 48081 on gunbroker, this will be the gun. If anyone wants the contact number and info. let me know. I think I will pass on this one, even though I like LeFever's and it's a 16 gauge.
A wise move indeed, Sir- and one of many reasons why I never do business either with GunBusters or direct with the pawn shop crooks-- "Well, it's a 100 year old gun, so of course it's worth a lot more, just for having lived that long" Like that numbnut Hugh Hefner at 85, who likes to bed 24 year old nymphos-- the name is there, but the barrel(s) ain't that long any more- and a dent in the ding-dong ain't gonna work well either-- I'd tell this "shark" to go fishin' and "Kiss My Bass"- and you might want to hang on to that S&W-- bad guys are out there!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

That gun wouldn't bring $300.00 where I am. You are lucky he didn't accept your $500.00.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 05/01/13 05:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That gun was not worth 500. You would be much better off to keep on looking. And one more thing Lefevers are one of the easiest guns to tighten up if needed. The ball and socket joint allow for adjustment to compensate for wear. First rule in buying old guns is to evaluate the barrels. If they are solid and in good shape most of the rest can be fixed if needed. If the barrels are cut bent folded or worn out the gun is a endless money pit. Run do not walk away.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.