April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, NCTarheel, R. Glenz, bushveld, battle, 1 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Saw it today, Brought it today, it will be shipped to my FFL for a Wednesday delivery. When I get it in hand I will be cast the chamber, mike the barrels chamber, mike the cartridges included in the case

It appears to be the 10.75x52 Springer shaped cases. The gun comes with dies and some reloading data, it stated the cases were 45/70 necked to 44 cal mag bullets 300grn 1950 FPS. Unfortunately I did not take notes and will have to wait until the gun arrives.

I find it puzzling that a previous owner used .44 bullets as I thought 10.75 is a .423

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
AkMike,
For a handloader, they are all common, as long as you have dies and can buy or make cases and bullets.It's more fun when you can't buy ammo at the Mall Mart.
Mike

I know just what you mean. My 500/450 WR Carbine 1 9/16" was until I figured out how to make cases w/o forming dies. I still don't have reloading dies. but with some effort it works.
Figuring the correct load to match the regulation is the fun part.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For some reason, 44 cal is actually .429"
10.75 is about .425"
You have to be careful, but it could be a good start. Slug the bores first.
I own a 10.75x45R Heym double, but I have not had a chance to slug the bores yet. I plan on using cut down .410 brass in that gun.
There is a host a variations on those calibers from 10.75x45 from 45mm long case to 52mm and up to 65mm.

I suspect the 45 version will be throwing a 300 grs bullet at ~1300fps. The 52 will be somewhat faster.

Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the data on the 44 cal, that relieves me some.

I have found diagrams on the internet showing the original bullet dimensions for 10.75 x 52 Springer were .423 and the initial bullet weight (at least one option) was 258 grains

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....rt=all&vc=1

As you have pointed out slugging the barrel is a good course of action as well as casting the chamber to determine case dimensions.

The previous owner of this gun worked from 45/70 brass

I am leery of going too fast. All is conjectuure until I actually have the gun in hand and can cast the chamber and slug the barrel..

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Colonel...I wish I was in your shoes!!! That one is going to be a heck of a lot of fun! Pictures are a must as are progress reports!

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I go forward it I will have a steep learning curve.

I have been a shotgun guy my whole life and have collected and read everything on shotgun ballistcs I could find. I feel complete comfort in messing around with reloading for shotguns and 16ga in particular.

I am an artilleryman so I understand gunnery and ballistics, but I have never done much fixed ammo reloading so this is new ground.

The last time I reloaded fixed ammo was over 15 years ago when a friend of mine who had all the presses, chronograph and knowledge did up 120 .300 savage rounds for my grandfather's rifle. I still have over 100 of those left as it is little shot.

I intend to go slowly into this. I need to confirm a baseline for dimensions and bullets. I need to determine the initial data for a baseline load and then play with it in terms of developing a load that shoots best from the gun.

I will likely next invest in a chronograph and a pressure sensor set-up. I have been craving the pressure sensor to help with shotgun reloading for a long time and it makes even more sense for this project. I will also need to figure out what ballistics software I need to buy in order to help with developing a load.

Once I have a good basic load then my next step is to play with the idea of developing Sabots and sabot loads for the gun, but that is a couple of years down the line. I am convinced Sabots might have a good application.

This project will allow me to dig into a whole new lane I have not been before

I will post some picture of the gun and the ammo that is coming with it at the end of the week.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Loading a DR is pretty easy and straight forward IF brass and dies are available.
The trick is finding a load that will match the original loads they set the regulation with!
If this one can be built with 45-70 brass and 44 mag bullets you good to go.

BUT a chamber and throat cast is a must. As well as slugging the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

old colonel,
You should be able to use 44 cal bullets(even jacketed) by resizing from .429" to .423"-.425"(whichever the barrel wants), in fact you may be able to use then unsized, if one will enter a fired(but not sized)case easily.I use .433" 43 Spanish bullets,sized to .425" in my .404 Jeffery(also a 10.75) with complete satisfaction. If I remember correctly,your case should be about .493" head diameter, which is smaller than 45-70(.500-.505),but a chamber must be larger than the cartridge. Sometimes,a chamber may be enough larger that larger cases can be used. If a chamber cast shows 45-70 cases can't be used "as is", sizing the head to a useable diameter is not especially difficult.When you make the chamber cast,post the dimensions.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

That sounds like a lovely rifle and also a fun adventure.

You might have already done this, but I'd recommend getting a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" if you do not have a copy. It is very helpful for getting an old double rifle to regulate. I've just got an Alexander Henry 500BPE and his book has been very helpful in getting it to regulate.

Beyond that Sherman Bell, Ross Seyfried and Frank Findlow's articles in the DGJ are great further reading.

Please post pictures when you can!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll add that without Wrights book I never would have gotten my 43 Mauser double to regulate.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.