Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

For my two-cents, better pix would seriously aide in evaluating this Smith; but based on what I see (or think I see) here, this example is suspect. I believe I've seen as many Grade 4 Smith guns as anyone, and I've never seen a Grade 4 from any production period that did not have engraving or matting on the short rib between the rib joint and rib extension. The simple roll-stamped maker's name and address seen here is common to only the lower grade pre-13 Smith guns. And although the poor pic of the barrel flats leaves a degree of uncertainty, the pic appears to show blued barrel flats. All the original Grade 4 Smith guns I've seen either had jeweled barrel flats, or flats polished bright; that was a feature Hunter Arms used to distinguish higher grade guns from their lower grade offerings. And although I haven't seen all 15 of the cataloged Grade 4 20-bores, I've seen several and have yet to see a Grade 4 20-bore without auto-ejectors; anyone have the Houchins book handy that can check that fact? If it is original, I would say that a Grade 4 Smith 20-bore with manual extractors would indeed be a rare bird. Before you buy this gun be sure to invest in a research letter, which are available thru the LC Smith Collectors Association; and verify basic gun specifications beginning with gun grade. Auction prices are crazy at the moment, but if this is a flat new original; I believe it would fetch more than $20K at auction, as 5-6 years ago a gentleman arrived at the Southern Side x Side with a rare and virtually mint 4E Smith 16-bore that fetched $23K as I recall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

After listening to some of the comments by the more knowledgeable LC Smith guys here, and looking at the photos again, I would lean also to this gun being a very nice refinish and possible upgrade.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
rwarren Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug, You're right the hole does look like a "graphic" dot like covering the serial number! I did go back and looked at the unaltered picture on the camera and the drilling there. Topgun and everyone I am listening and learning and appreciate all the comments. I would like to submit the info for a letter but is there a quicker way to ge the info than sending everything through the mail? Is it possible to get the info over the phone or email while waiting for thr official letter?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: boboreno
Doug, You're right the hole does look like a "graphic" dot like covering the serial number! I did go back and looked at the unaltered picture on the camera and the drilling there. Topgun and everyone I am listening and learning and appreciate all the comments. I would like to submit the info for a letter but is there a quicker way to ge the info than sending everything through the mail? Is it possible to get the info over the phone or email while waiting for thr official letter?

Yes, all the "orginal uncopied" FACTORY records/ledgers for L.C. Smith, Hunter Arms, Marlin, Winchester etc. are housed in the Cody Firearms Museum Records Office........call them direct and no time is wasted....if you were a Cody Museum member (and you can be) they would give you the information over the phone, but they can take a credit card over the phone and will send you their Museum L.C. Smith Factory letter......Phone -307-578-4031....Fax - 307-578-4079....email: cfmrecords@bbhc.org......

http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/records.cfm

I always use the Cody Museum where I'm a member, not the collectors association where I'm not a member...Just my opinion......

If you are a member, you can call them from gun shows or wherever and retrieve information on the spot.....The museum employees attend, with a table and a museum records link, most of the big gun shows......

The Cody Museum Firearms Office in Cody, Wyoming is open six days a week and is prompt with responses using full time employees, nice folks......suggest you give them a call, you won't be disappointed......

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion, the best source of information on LC Smith guns is the LC Smith Collectors Association. The LCSCA has copies of all the records from Cody, and has put them into a digitized format. In addition, Dr. Jim Stubbendiek, the holder of the LCSCA records, is a very knowledgeable LC Smith collector who knows the LC Smith guns. Jim has spent countless hours with the LC Smith records while digitizing them and correcting errors that have been published in older references. While I assume that the Cody employees are helpful and willing to assist, I doubt that any one of them has the expertise that Jim now has with the LC Smith records.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To say I am "far from an expert" would be an understatement.

To my eye, though, those case colors look too new to be over 100 years old.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JB32 #319128 03/27/13 03:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JB32

Jimmy B.

If this gun, on this thread, is the same gun as you show in the old Double Gun Link that we all talked about last year, then it now has a different set of barrels and a completely different forend, minus the ejectors, barrel rib matting, different case colors, different thumb lever checkering, different trigger guard blueing, etc........I think the gun in your link is a different gun entirely Jimmy.....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Different Kardashian, used but not abused.

Last edited by JDW; 03/27/13 07:04 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Different guns. The one I posted about was a featherweight, had ejectors and a single trigger plus all the other things Doug mentions. They case coloring and engraving on this one looks very different IMO.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.