March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (dukxdog, SKB, Marc Ret, Argo44, LGF, Ian Forrester), 837 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#318620 03/23/13 10:10 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nothing really special, just curious about where it might have come from..

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by Tom Hall; 03/23/13 09:03 PM.

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure Ford or Axel will be along to set us on the straight & narrow. I believe Axel has discussed the acronym Rw. E and that it is a variant along with GwF.E, which may have been Reichswerke of Erfurt or Erfurt's Deutsche Werke from say 1919-1922?? I think Amberg ceased production in 1911 and Spandau had followed suite a year earlier in 1910 leaving the mechanics at Danzig & Erfurt, with the stamps more resembling the Erfurt inspectors. I would assume that if you Google RWE Mauser rifle you'll have more than enough to sift thru.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom check the old thread on my 98A Sporter - it has the same BSI stamped on the barrel, that Mr. Petrov gave us some background on.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=289215&page=1

Last edited by postoak; 03/23/13 02:04 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would defer to Axel.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally I would like to see more pics. of the rifle - stock, bottom metal, sights etc. (if possible that is). The engraving is familiar and the eagle with up raised wings is for Spandau.

Likely a SR with LR barrel threads but that is just supposition at the moment. --- John

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Check above for the additional pix.

Yeah Postoak, that is really quite similar to mine.
Your stock is a bit more refined as mine is quite simple with a schnable (sp?) whic is split on both sides across the top and a 60's recoil pad. It is probably worth rejuvinating as the action is in good shape, those holes can be filled and the barrel is in decent condition. I don't have set triggers either but the 98A guard has a nice shape to it. I would like to think that the gun weighs around 6.5 as it is.

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Tom I have a "clone" of your rifle (except for the engraving) right down to that release button on the floor plate.

Mine has the name Geco on the right side of the receiver. Nice action, good barrel, not DTd, the stock is so-so although it is in one piece but needs to be refinished. Have a spare 22H Brno stock that should fit nicely (maybe --- someday).

Great little rifles. --- John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
"Geco" is for Gustav Genschow & Co,Aktiengesellschaft; a supplier of various things, including guns and ammunition.

Tom,
Since Axel hasn't weighed in yet, I'll say your rifle was made from a WW1 surplus Kar 98.Post war,most sporting mauser rifles were made from old military actions rather than more expensive commercial Mauser actions.Many of these actions had the military markings removed, and some had other markings applied.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

These RwE marked sporters were only made for a short time, 1919 - 1921. After the 1918 armistice the German government arsenals Amberg, Danzig and Erfurt tried to convert to civilian production to save as many jobs as possible for their workers. As after November 1918 there were no Kaiser and kings anymore, Germany being a republic, the "Königliche Gewehrfabrik Erfurt" = royal (Prussian) rifle factory in Erfurt was renamed "Reichswerke Erfurt" = RwE. As they had made 98Az carbines during WW1, they used their production line, machines and tools, to make sporting rifles on these small ring M98 actions. They made pistols and some REMO Mauser actioned shotguns too. So these RwE sporters are not converted military rifles, but were factory made as sporters using the tooling and leftover parts from wartime production. As the civilian proofhouse system did not work again, these rifles were proofed by the former military acceptance personell and marked with the military eagle stamp, sometimes with the crown removed from the stamp. In America Remington did the same when they used their facilities to produce M17 Enfields to make their models 30, 30S and 720 sporting rifles. At that time the Germans did not foresee the harsh "peace" conditions they had to sign at gunpoint soon. When the so-called "Versailles Peace Treaty" was enforced in late 1920 - 21, the allied disarmament commissions enforced all these government owned gun factories to be closed down and dismantled, machines and tools handed over to other states as reparations. So the production of those RwE, Gewehrfabrik Danzig and Gewehrfabrik Amberg marked sporters came to a sudden stop. During that short time span RwE apparently made more than 2000 such rifles, guessing from the known serial numbers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Axel,
Good info, thanks.
Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.