May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (barrel browner, Hammergun, Birdog, 1 invisible), 344 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,515
Posts545,684
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

hello joe wood,
The 400/proprietary model,in all grades, has a top extension,which adds to the intrigue!I do not offer this as a definitive fact,only that it is correct for all 400s i have seen and all advertising from the period.
cheers
mr w martin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, here is an example of a "CLASS B" and is so marked on the face of the receiver.

Steve, do you have the records on whom this was made for?

Thanks,

KC

Sidelock
Sidelock

kcordell,
e-mail me please.
schmjh@pacbell.net

Sidelock
Sidelock

hello kcordell,
a nice webley screwgrip w&r model sidelock.
cheers
mr w martin

NA
Kiwi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There's an interesting story about how this gun came to be in my hands. An Australian walked into a small gunshop in New Zealand and asked for some Super-X for his old double. For those that don't know it, Super-X is fairly strongly loaded. The gunshop owner asked him what it was for, and finding that the shotgun was in the back of his old ute, to bring it in. He said, "This old gun should only use 2,1/2" shells. I have some at home. If you call back tomorrow, I'll bring them in". The guy came back and the shop owner said, "If you ever want to sell that gun, let me know".

Seven years later he had a phone call, from an English gent who said, "I hear you want to buy my gun". It was apparently a wedding present in 1941 though his wife had died some years earlier. He worked out the Australian was only loaning it. They agreed on a price and the Englishman hung up. A few days later, the gun turned up in the post to the shop, in it's Rigby case and wrapped in brown paper tied up with waxed string. A few days after that, the phone rings again, "Did you get my gun". The shop owner said, "Don't hang up. Tell me your name and your address". It seems Haywood was his first name. He lived in Auckland, but was presently in a hospital heart ward. It was arranged to send the cheque for the agreed amount to him c/o the heart ward.

The shop owner rang the hospital a few days later to make sure he got the cheque. The nurse said he'd opened the letter but he wasn't well enough to talk and to "call back later". One hour later he was dead. The estate cashed the cheque however. So the the shop owner and the Rigby's original owner never actually met.

This was some years ago, and the vendor (to me) cannot immediately recall the surname. If Rigby in the UK sold it in 1940 to a Col. E.J. O'Meara, that would be Lieut. Col. Eugene John O'Meara, OBE, FRCS, who was a surgeon for many years in the Indian Medical Service. He wrote a book on his exploits in 1935, (which I have on order). I can tell you who O'Meara's, father, mother, brother and grandfather were, but not the names of children from his 3 marriages. He had at least 1 daughter born in India in 1900.

What I do know is that, a relation; Miss Kathleen O'Meara, youngest daughter of Mr & Mrs William C. O'Meara of Exeter, got married in 1941 to Mr Michael Arthur Nagle, R.N. Her wedding present to him was described as "a dispatch case". Could it be....?

There's a few bits missing here, but that's the best I can do in a few days. The missing link is Haywood's surname. I have a few clues to follow up that might explain how this shotgun came to be in Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Outstanding Kiwi.
Please do your best as I am sure you will.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

hello again kiwi,
interesting story,makes the ownership of such guns even more worthwhile.thanks for sharing.
cheers

mr w martin

NA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.