May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, LRF, 1 invisible), 163 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,080
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A couple of years ago I came across a sweet little Simson 28ga box lock sxs that was made before 1925. It is an American market gun as it was imported by a dealer in Washington, DC (name engraved on the rib). I found the dealer's contact info buried in a drawer and gave him a call--it is still available and I am going to take a look in a couple of weeks.

I don't have any pics, but from memory it has a Greener crossbolt, splinter forend with ebony tip, ebony drop points, English stock, small frame, 28" barrels with ivory bead, scroll engraving (50%+ coverage, weighs around 6lbs, 14" LOP, nicely figured wood, and rates at about 90%. It looks to be a very solid, unmolested gun in a rare gauge. It is nothing like the standard grade Simsons that are on GI.

I have tried to research this gun and cannot find any comps. The price is around $4,500. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If possible price it as a Sauer and reduce by about 25-30%. Simsons are great guns and the prewar guns should be first class.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never seen a pre-war Simson in 28, and only a couple 20s. Kirby at Vintage Doubles has a contemporary of the gun you're looking at. http://www.vintagedoubles.com/catalog/?sort=4&process=fullview&gunID=1747 Keep in mind - that gun is a 12, far and away the most popular and frequently-encountered gauge in a German double.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

sounds like a rare and wonderful gun. would love to see pictures.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hopefully I will have some pictures soon. I am going based on memory, as I have not handled the gun in a long time. The gun was retailed by William Wagner & Sons in Washington, DC, and from what I read, he sold guns at the turn of the century, I am not sure when they went out of business. It is an early gun for sure and has a great balance and feel. Thanks for the info. I don't want to make a bad investment with my limited knowledge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun has been for sale for at least 2 years one would think they would move off of the $4500.00 price. But maybe that's why it's still there. Or make darn sure there isn't some kind of an issue with it.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 01/31/13 11:50 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, the price has varied over the years! Never a price tag on it at the shows, started at around $5k, went to $6.5K. I am working on trading my Pre-64 Model 12 20ga skeet that is 98% original and some cash. The fellow told me that cannot move collector guns at all and only brings a few out at the shows. I don't get the sense he is in a huge rush to sell it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with the above that anything other than a 12 or 16 from Simson is pretty rare. 28 would be extremely rare. I recently parted company with a prewar Sauer 20 imported by A&F in the 30's. It was initially tagged at something north of $4K. Less for a Simson because of the "brand value" edge to Sauer (although probably shouldn't be), but more for a 28 vs a 20. If it's an ejector gun, I'd say the price is not out of the ballpark. And I'd also guess, based on the weight of my Sauer (5 3/4), that your Simson 28 might be closer to 5 1/2 than 6.

Sidelock
Sidelock

20 bores were in the adverts along with 12, 16 having tube lengths from 26 to 30 inches in the scatterguns at 5 1/4 - 6 pounds. I would say a 28 bore would be in the lower end of this scale if not below in weight. Of course this is not a drilling, but the Modell's Nr. 33, 35, 36 were only advertised for 12 & 16. But the 28 bore would have been special order only and I'm curious how much effort Simson may have applied or if they sourced it. The mid 1920s was the heyday for Simson as they were racing cars, I believe Otto Reif was one of their drivers and some sort of manager, manufacturing weapons, bicycles and rubber baby buggy bumpers among other things. Hope to see some images.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
The mid 1920s was the heyday for Simson as they were racing cars, I believe Otto Reif was one of their drivers and some sort of manager, manufacturing weapons, bicycles and rubber baby buggy bumpers among other things.

Anyone who has a chance to visit Suhl should visit the Fahrzeug (vehicle) Museum to see the wide variety of things made by the Simpson Werk. They also loop a video about Simpson's history (in German). The Fahrzeug Museum is just down the street from the Waffen Museum.

C. Roger Bleile
Author of American Engravers-The 21st Century
FEGA Historian
www.engravingglossary.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.