March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

re-opening this conversation.
backstory: after I did this thread, I ended up with another Springer who is an absolute sweetheart. she is the sharpest of the three I have owned. but, now I'm going to be 64 this year. and I am looking forward to taking a more relaxed approach to my grouse and woodcock hunting. My buddy hunts over a Spinone and she is also a sweetheart. And she is very easy hunting, doesnt range and moves slowly and purposefully. we alternate dogs during the day.

But, now I want to really look hard at a pointing dog. English setters are high on my list , always seem mellow and affectionate when not in the field.
But, the Kleine Muensterlander really intrigues me still.
so, now 9 years since I wrote this, I am soliciting new input.

Does anyone have any suggested breeders?
I am looking at Robingun Kennels as a possible breeder.

I am not opposed to an English. I want mellow dog at home and nice easy hunting dog in the field. That will retrieve.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don’t have any personal experience with English Setters or Muensterlanders. The Muensterlander sounds interesting to me, based on hunting Partridge and Woodcock in NH and ME. We have a 2 year old English Springer who has shown great promise in two seasons of hunting. He’s a great family dog as well. A flushing dog seems to be ideal where we are. Previous dog was a GSP I got when stationed in Washington state in another lifetime…an awesome dog but really too big a running dog for the Partridge woods. He was dynamite in South Dakota and on Ptarmigan in Northern Quebec…. For a lot of reasons, great hunting, excellent family dog, smaller size, I’ve been very happy with our Springer.

Best of luck in your search! I’m sure that you’ll find a great companion with either breed.

-Tom

Ps-Still on Broomrider1 here!!…lol!

Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Still on my first one. 6 means the one in charge. (theoretically)
I refer to her as broomrider 6 but not as a term of endearment for sure

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Spinone really intersects me as well. They look so mellow on point and I presume would not tire easily in the field or pick up burrs. I have been a one-dog (Griffon) household since I began the journey 10 years ago. For sometime I toyed with the idea of an alternative breed but in the end purchased another Griffon. My dog #2 is about seven months old and is currently with a trainer being “started” as I am a very poor dog trainer. You very well may wind up with yet another Springer based your track record!

Owen
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know about the Small, but I have a friend who has owned Larges for over twenty years and loves them. He is mostly an upland game hunter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian, Gunwolf, member here is a breeder of that breed. i am sure he can give you some advise. Pitty that he live in Germany, but his dogs won many prices at concours.
Cheers, Marc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.